Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 191 - 200 of 6513 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...652

Forum » Thread

Re: Sleeping pants
"Thermarest sleeping bad. Borah bivy sack 20 degree quilt" If I were you, I'd consider adding a little more insulation UNDER your sleeping bag. Maybe a 1/4" CC foam pad or ...

In GEAR » Sleeping pants
December 25, 6:12pm

Re: very impressive
"I keep looking at the double rainbow for upcomming co-ed trips, as an alternative to the lighter,more expensive Zpacks Duplex etc. The Rainbow's layout is great and the overall design ...

In GEAR » Rainbow in the winter
December 25, 6:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: John Muir died 100 years ago on Christmas Eve
" I guess it was unsupported, but even so I don't think that qualifies as fastpacking." Yeah, I think they were more into bushcraft, but so was Muir to some extent. He regularly c...

In Philosophy & Technique » John Muir died 100 years ago on Christmas Eve
December 24, 8:10pm

Re: Intetesting tale,Tom.
"Did you use trekking poles on each side as additional support that snowy night?" No. I was pitched in the lee of a very large boulder, which took the brunt of the wind. We could see...

December 24, 7:57pm

Re: Re: The Bibles
"One can choose to believe the current bible is divine," Are you insinuating that the current English version is not the original?????????

In Chaff » The Bibles
December 24, 5:30pm

Re: Re: John Muir died 100 years ago on Christmas Eve
"And he was one of the first, if not THE first, ultra light backpacker." Uh.., aren't you overlooking about 50,000 years of nomadic humans moving fast and light as they fanned out ...

In Philosophy & Technique » John Muir died 100 years ago on Christmas Eve
December 24, 5:11pm

Re: Rainbow in the winter
"Has anyone tried using the a tarptent rainbow in winter with mild snow conditions?" I tested mine inadvertently up in Humphreys Basin a few years ago when I got caught out in an early...

December 24, 5:06pm

Re: Re: Naughty
"I don't know. Your avatar shot is kinda small." The judges score it 10-8, 10-8, 10-7 for the grizzled veteran, Ken "Trinity Tiger" Thompson. But don't count Masters...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Naughty list....
December 24, 4:47pm

Re: Re: Naughty
"Those who seek the flaws in others while ignoring their own failings. Tis the season of joy and forgiveness!" +1 Oops, I forgot. Tis the season of cabin fever, and people are ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Naughty list....
December 23, 7:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: turkeys
" I've given up and have stopped worrying about the emotional wellbeing of the perpetually offended." And I admire you for it. But I had the misfortune to be born a bedwetting l...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Hazard: turkeys!
December 22, 4:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm