BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 191 - 200 of 6009 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...601

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
"Tom, don't tell anyone about that." ;)

In Post-Trip Reports » Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
June 22, 7:41pm

Re: Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
"This area is overused due to the glory and reputation of the Enchantments. The goats are almost domesticated once you get up into the lake basin." +1 "There are plenty of desi...

In Post-Trip Reports » Washington State - Enchantments from Snow Creek Trail
June 22, 5:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"The two food bags are tied onto one rope and counterbalanced. One bag is tied onto the first end, and the second bag ends up tied onto the middle of the rope (with the remainder of the rope h...

In GEAR » Best UL rope for food hanging/multi-purpose?
June 21, 9:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"Tom, this doesn't make any sense. With a double rope hang, the bear can't touch any ropes or branches, so there is nothing that it can pull or move." Uh....what exactly then a...

June 21, 6:08pm

Re: Re: Partial High Sierra Camps loop 6/14/14
Great pics, Allen, and from an iPhone yet. That was quite a hike. Well done!

In Post-Trip Reports » Partial High Sierra Camps loop 6/14/14
June 21, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"Most of my friends gave up on the PCT method after their lightweight carabiners kept breaking. Maybe that says something." Yeah, use a beefier biner.

June 21, 5:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"I found it interesting that you thought the two-rope technique was incredibly complicated to execute. That is exactly what I thought of the PCT method. To each, his own, I guess." +1 ...

June 21, 5:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"I suppose that if you have a very light food bag, then one bag and one rope is all you need. Back when I led group trips, we were dealing with a lot of food, so splitting it up into two bags ...

June 21, 5:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12
" Wish I could be out there with you this summer." Me, too, Craig. Me, too. :(

In Post-Trip Reports » Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12
June 20, 9:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Hang
"With the PCT method, I am not tying off to any tree. The bear can come and gnaw on the line hanging down all it wants and it won't affect my food bag. My food food bag is suspended midway...

June 20, 9:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm