BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 191 - 200 of 823 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...83

Forum » Thread

Shawnee
>We did Shawnee about 10 years ago. It was July or August, all of the streams were dry. The forest service trucked in water, there were only 3 water stops on a ~25 mile loop. There should be wat...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ohio - Wayne NF
May 24, 9:03am

Shawnee
The dayhike trail there is relatively easy (and picturesque), but the rest of Shawnee has the rep as the most difficult trail system in Ohio. The standard joke is that they cut the trails before th...

May 24, 8:50am

GG poles
>Maybe I need to spring for the adjustable GG poles as well. Those should do the trick with the Hexamid Twin, yes? That's what I use for hiking and as supports for the Hex. They work like...

In GEAR » Hexamid - to beak or not to beak?
May 23, 7:07pm

The door
One advantage of the door: You can use it as a ground cloth if the chance of rain is low. Does Joe still sell the door? I couldn't find it on the web site. Stargazer

May 23, 7:04pm

BP trails in Ohio
In the Ironton area, you can't beat the Lake Vesuvius trails (both Lakeshore and BPing) for the views of the lake in autumn, especially. A bit father afield: If you're looking for the A...

May 23, 6:24pm

Oh, yeah!
Beats Everclear mixed with pond water, that's for sure! Stargazer

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Another reason to carry a light pack....
May 23, 5:46pm

Hexamid Twin
The bug netting is great. I've never had a hole in mine (which has gotten some rough use, BTW), but I have successfully sewn up holes in bug netting with needle and thread. Addendum 5/31/11...

May 23, 5:41pm

WTB: Thorofare pants
Bump Also, to the poster who sent me the PM, I'm interested. Please email me at tlburns@owu.edu. Stargazer

In Gear Swap » WTB: Thorofare pants
May 17, 9:59pm

Sole thickness
Thanks, Doug! I have both types of Vibrams and the extra few mm's make a big positive difference on rocky ground. Stargazer

In GEAR » Merrel Trail Glove
May 16, 10:30am

Thickness of soles?
Aoparenttly, the shoes use the Vibram bottoms. Does anybody know the thickness of the soles? Specifically, do they use the somewhat thicker ones (like the ones on the Treks) or do they use the thin...

In GEAR » Merrel Trail Glove
May 16, 10:05am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am