BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 191 - 200 of 876 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...88

Forum » Thread

Houdini $73
Thanks. I think. I've saved so much money in the last month on gear that I'm broke. Nice blue medium Houdini coming my way.

In Gear Deals » Huge Patagonia Sale @ 6pm.com - practically the entire patagonia line up 30-45% off or better - Houdini $73
February 02, 10:00am

Re: CA destinations for East Coast Scouts.
I suggest the iconic "High Sierra". In the 100 miles between Mammoth Lakes and Olancha the Sierra crest never dips below 11,000'. Altitudes are high, small lakes are plentiful,...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 02, 9:50am

CA destinations for East Coast Scouts.
I wouldn't go with either for a first-time, maybe only, backpack trip to California. Why not the High Sierra? Lassen is beautiful and has unique volcanic features you won't see back hom...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 02, 9:22am

Heat Exchanger Pots- What is inner diameter of heat exchanger?
As I go full-bore into stove frenzy... I'm thinking of getting a heat exchanger pan to use with a couple different stoves. In order to get the best effect in breezy conditions it seems prud...

In GEAR » Heat Exchanger Pots- What is inner diameter of heat exchanger?
February 02, 9:00am

I like people
I like chatting with other hikers. I also like time to myself. It's really easy in the Sierra to avoid people. Just step off the maintained trails. Don't feel selfish for keeping you...

In Philosophy & Technique » selfish - a secret place
February 01, 8:44pm

Jetboil Zip vs. Sol efficiency
Jetboil Zip vs. Sol efficiency is going to be about the same. I have a PCS and now a Sol. The unregulated models- PCS, Flash, and Zip will heat slower in colder weather because they are flowi...

In GEAR » Jetboil Zip Hacks
February 01, 4:08pm

Re: PCT/JMT NOBO permit Q's
Chris, I researched a similar trip last year and discussed the permit issue with the Wilderness Permit office. (different start point but similar climb of Whitney without exiting at Whitney Por...

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT/JMT NOBO permit Q's
February 01, 10:04am

Re: Fire restrictions for SEKI and Inyo Forest
Not above 10,000 in SEKI Not above 10,400 in Inyo NF north of Horseshoe Mdw. Not on Whitney Trail. If there is fire danger they may have a lower limit too. Sometimes 8,000 or evn 9000 in SE...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Fire restrictions for SEKI and Inyo Forest
January 31, 9:14pm

JMT snow this year
There's only been one storm so far this winter. At this rate you won't need an axe in April let alone July. Don't buy an axe now. Ask about conditions come May. Charles is absolu...

In GEAR » Ice Axe for JMT?
January 31, 6:56pm

Re: Maybe not today...
Going back a few years... Ski tour through Yosemite- starting at Twin Lakes near Bridgeport, over Matterhorn Pass, past Tuolumne Meadows, Donahue Pass, Island Pass, out to Mammoth Lakes. That w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Maybe not today...
January 31, 4:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm