BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 191 - 200 of 557 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Need Campsite suggestions on Pemigewassett Loop/Mt Lafayette, NH
There are no tent platforms at Greenleaf, it is very close to treeline near the hut, plus you can't camp within .25 mile of the hut. I think once you drop down off the ridge, and head toward...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Need Campsite suggestions on Pemigewassett Loop/Mt Lafayette, NH
June 26, 5:49pm

Re: Amount of food
You may also find that hiking at higher altitudes suppresses your appetite. Be sure not to let yourself get dehydrated...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Amount of food
June 25, 7:30pm

The cloud
I've been using the pack liner technique for several years now, but still kept my shelter in a stuff sack (oversize). A quick test at home this weekend showed me that packing my shelter loose w...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
June 19, 6:59pm

Re: Re: Users / Philosophy / Content Overview / Maps vs. Electronics
I guess I still don't see the need for this, especially in a heavily used area like the White Mountains. It's so easy to find up to date information on weather, trail conditions, and wat...

In GEAR » QR Codes + Trail Signs
June 19, 6:19pm

Re: QR codes
I hate to be the contrarian, but what problem is solved by standardized trail signs with QR codes? After 35 years of hiking in the White Mountains, I enjoy the variety of trail signs. There'...

In GEAR » QR Codes + Trail Signs
June 17, 6:16pm

Re: Pig Brains In Milk Gravy?
Shug has some very entertaining videos. He has a real talent. When I first watched this video, I though it was pork and beans in milk gravy. Then I realized what it really was...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pig Brains In Milk Gravy?
May 30, 11:22am

Re: Re: Re: hiking staff / bear deterrent
>>I wonder what would happen if a bear attacked you and you poked it with a regular trekking pole? Your last thought will be "My heirs will be inheriting a broken trekking pole"...

In Multiple Use Gear » hiking staff / bear deterrent
May 22, 6:34pm

Re: Losing pounds is cheap...
I'm down to about a 10 pound base weight now, with fairly minimalist gear (it costs nothing to leave stuff at home or in the store). I'm at the point where I'd rather spend money on act...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cost per oz of weight saved
May 22, 3:27pm

Re: 4 pass loop Aspen snow estimates?
Matt: I attempted the loop in early July of 2008. That was also a heavy snow year. I was solo, and did not feel comfortable crossing the creeks (which were high), and the passes held quite a bit...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 4 pass loop Aspen snow estimates?
May 21, 1:54pm

Re: gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tomatoe-potatoe free
I follow the Paleo Diet, which is similar to your diet. I don't eat quinoa, beans, or rice either. I've gotten some good backcountry meal ideas from Heather Loves Paleo. Can you use h...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tomatoe-potatoe free
May 13, 10:52am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm