BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 191 - 200 of 1860 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: wood fire smoke
the fact is there is no amount of smoke from a wood fire that is safe to inhale. So true ... in fact about as true as: the fact is there is no amount of smoke from the motor vehicle that drov...

In Editor's Roundtable » The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) - Episode 2: Food & Water
June 02, 7:52pm

Re: Very good series
Very good indeed! And valuable even for one who's goal falls short (heavy) of SUL.

In Editor's Roundtable » The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) - Episode 2: Food & Water
May 30, 5:30pm

getting bearbag rope over a branch: The SUL Wanderer - Episode 2
Using too small of a rock means that your cord (and the sack) can get stuck in the tree if not enough weight is placed into the rock sack to overcome the friction of the cord running across the br...

May 30, 5:28pm

Re: Gear Confessions
I have never, ever, not even once failed to return home with at least 25% of the stove fuel I packed (alcohol). And then there's my three boxes of matches, one being "stormproof", ...

In GEAR » Gear Confessions
May 23, 5:49pm

Re: and John Muir damn well DID use a pencil on the Trail!!!
It is rumored that Hemingway used Blackwings, but it has not been substantiated. He may also have used a pencil but I know I saw a manual typewriter in his writing room when touring his Key We...

In GEAR » Which Pencil for the JMT?
May 16, 8:22pm

Hail in a tent or bivvy
I've been caught out in 1/4" hail a couple times ... ouch. I would NOT expect to enjoy the experience in a bivvy typical of what you'll usually find used by your average BPLer, myself...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 1: Concepts and Scope.
May 15, 7:01am

Re: This isn't about Balls & Sunshine
It's about the demise of civilization; about a society that has lost it's moral compass; ... I remember a time when people didn't have to lock their homes or cars; a time you could park...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Balls and Sunshine Ripped-off on the CDT!!
May 12, 4:17pm

Re: Avoiding a Solid Mass
That has worked for me for 40 years in principle however sacks can be convenient jn a large structured pack. were you meaning unstructured? That is where I find stuff sacks worth carrying a c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stuff Sacks- overkill?
May 09, 3:32am

Re: Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)
Hi Nate, I'm pretty sure the IAT had a booth at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo ... did you speak to them. Their website: http://www.iceagetrail.org/home

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)
May 08, 8:15pm

Re: seams on pack
David said: Most seams are overbuilt on commercial packs. They can be a bear to patch if damaged (by say a bear) and you need to take out a seam in the process of repair. You can say that again!...

In Make Your Own Gear » Finishing/reinforcing seams on a pack
May 07, 8:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am