Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 191 - 200 of 1917 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...192

Forum » Thread

Re: To each the their own
Duane, I believe they fired the Chinese manufacturor of the SVEA. Some of the aluminum parts are still made there, or were left over from a larger order. Latvia(??) I believe is producing most of t...

In GEAR » Cold weather cooking - stove choices
March 07, 4:33pm

Re: To each the their own
Robert, the SVEA 123r is still sold. You can purchase parts from Optimus: http://www.optimusstoves.com/

March 07, 2:15pm

Re: Re: Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
Well, I was assuming some good pack cloth, maybe PU coated. Of course this would be worst case. I am sure you could do better...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 07, 6:54am

Re: re: sharpening
I will second the sandpaper. 2000grit finishing paper (carborundum wet/dry) weighs only 2-3 grams and a piece can be wrapped around a stick for sharpening. I find it in the automotive supplies next...

In GEAR » Knife sharpeners
March 07, 5:34am

Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
I believe this is a good idea from an organizational point of view. Steal a thought from LuxuryLite and make some front opening pouches. This will make stuff a little easier to get at. But a rou...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 07, 4:55am

Re: Fire Ball
Yeah, I have used a SVEA for almost 40 years (boy it doesn't seem that long.) Anyway, when I traded for some flies I had tied, I got a fuel bottle and a pair of caps from Optimus. The one had a...

March 06, 8:43pm

Re: Svea 123
Well, I never had a problem with my SVEA. It does take a bit of attention to the weather when filling it, though. A full tank will last about 70-80 minutes on high. About 2-3 hours on medium...say ...

March 06, 2:03pm

150-250 Mile Trails in US?
Well, if you want to head into the ADK's, ther are a few options. The Nothville-Placid trail is about 135mi long. It takes about 9 days to hike it. If you do any fishing,about two weeks. The...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 150-250 Mile Trails in US?
March 06, 6:04am

Good Report
Matthew, well done, again. You state my concerns with synthetic blends quite well. The "jury is out" on this one. I agree that good design trumps new materials. But, it should never be...

In Editor's Roundtable » ISPO 2014, Munich, Part 2
March 05, 6:44am

Re: 950 Fill Power?
Fill power is basically a measument of loft. They only are performed under selativly strict guide lines, though. They do NOT take into account real world conditions for a sleeping bag. The EN stand...

In Make Your Own Gear » 950 Fill Power?
March 04, 6:10am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am