BPL Community Profile

Zack Karas (iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Lake Tahoe
About Me Trail names that haven't stuck: Oprah, Sir Craps-a-Lot, Runaway Blouse, Bunefa, Steve, Big McLargeHuge, The Inedible Uncle Fabulous.

Don't ask.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Zack Karas

Showing 191 - 200 of 399 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...40

Forum » Thread

RMNP
Check out Rocky Mountain National Park. So many options for you. Also, you could base in Boulder and/or Estes Park and/or Grand Lake--all three towns offer different things and all are enjoyable ...

In Other Activities » Long challenging day hikes
August 12, 2:27pm

Camino
I've 'hiked' the camino and was incredibly let down by the lack of any sort of wilderness--it is 95% on roads. If you do intend on doing that at some time, I highly recommend doing it ...

In Gear Lists » Green traveler/backpacker looking for some seasoned advice!
August 11, 3:34pm

peak bagging shoes
Depending on the time of year that you all go out to climb, a shoe that can edge well in the snow is a plus--I like the now discontinued Montrail Hurricane Ridge. In general, though, you just want...

In GEAR » Shoe For Peak Bagging
August 11, 12:53am

shizzle my grizzle
Unlike that guy, I would have discharged my bowels instead. Does that scare bears?

In Gear Lists » Beartooth Wilderness 6-day list
August 06, 7:37pm

DR with hiking pole support
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=2368&skip_to_post=28865#28865

In GEAR » 2p wind-worthy tent?
August 06, 6:53pm

Calorie deficit question
"When you run out of sugar, your body starts burning muscles for energy because fats are locked" This is incorrect, or at least misleading--The only time that your body will stop burni...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calorie Deficit Question
August 06, 5:27pm

pod 30
Lynn, thanks for checking your baffle height for me. I'm jealous that you got the Pod 15 as WM seems to have discontinued all Pod designs. I have the Versalite (used as a couples quilt but wa...

In GEAR » Custom Nunatak Quilt or Bag? Need Advice
August 06, 2:46pm

gaiters
not truly necessary, and if it is bad you could use your pants for some protection. If you really want some that are lightweight, check out Dirty Girl gaiters. edit: Do you have a pack liner o...

In Gear Lists » GNP gear list
August 06, 2:38pm

glacier bo bacier
The convertble pants should be fine since you have the long johns to sleep in. And I wouldn't worry about wearing only one shirt for just 6 days, however if you are worried about your bag you ...

In Gear Lists » GNP gear list
August 06, 12:44pm

patagonia tent
I agree with the previous poster. I just purchased the Oware 8x8x5 pyramid and I'm amazed at the space inside--you might even be able to fit both of your bikes inside with plenty of room lefto...

In GEAR » 2p wind-worthy tent?
August 06, 12:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Zack Karas

Showing 1 - 10 of 20 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
As many previous reviewers have noted, this light stove works well and supports my ti pot well. I only use this in lower elevations and warmer weather, but that is due to esbit not the stove. I ...

In Stoves - Other
September 15, 12:36pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it--though the replaced pad still has life lef...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
September 15, 12:33pm

Bibler Eldorado
I have only used it around 14 or so nights since then (only use it in more rugged and windy environments when snow is a possibility). My wife and I used it for our 10-day Tibet trek and it perfor...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
September 09, 4:47pm

BPL Blow-Up Pillow
I had high hopes for this pillow--the single baffle version. I have found that I have to inflate it very little to avoid my head rolling all over the place. So, in order for this pillow to keep my h...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 09, 4:36pm

Adidas Supernova Trail 5
After having foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made. The Dr. also recommended these shoes and to replace all shoes every 300-500 miles. Since using these, I have had z...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 09, 4:04pm

Red Ledge Thunderlight pants
I'm surprised that more people don't use and/or know about these. My pants weigh 6.5oz size medium and fit over my shoes. They have button snaps at the ankle to allow for 2 different sizes b...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 09, 4:00pm

Brasslite Turbo II-D
Purchased in 2004, used for around 6000 trail miles. Weighs 2.5oz, so there are lighter alternatives out there, but for the slimmer sleeve I feel it is worth it as it allows a broader trail diet. ...

In Stoves - Alcohol
September 08, 10:15am

Western Mountaineering Pod 30
Purchased in 2005, used for entire CDT, 10-day Tibet trek, Iceland thruhike, 6 months hiking in NZ, plus about another 1000 or so miles. Weighs 17 oz after cutting off pad sleeve. Only downsid...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 08, 10:12am

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
I recently purchased this for a thruhike of Iceland based on its' weight. It performed well, but let me explain... The foot-end of the tent is lower than the head-end, plus the vestibules are ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 08, 10:06am

Dirty Girl Gaiters
These would be a 5 if the supplied adhesive strip resisting peeling after very wet days. Superglue was the answer and has held the velcro down wonderfully. Very breathable (and I'm a sweater...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 08, 9:59am