BPL Community Profile

Jon Rhoderick (hotrhoddudeguy) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale New England
About Me Jon Rhoderick has not added a biography yet.
StateMA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jon Rhoderick

Showing 191 - 200 of 274 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Re: Option 1
Well I'd also go option 1, as overall I would agree it is probably more weather worthy. Its also better to use for muddy conditions from what I hear. If you want a bigger tarp for the same we...

In GEAR » Which tarp combo would you prefer?
September 05, 7:05pm

Long Trail in March
In no way is this a trip announcement or an ad for partners (yet.....) but does anyone have accurate numbers of around the average temperature and snow levels through personal or meteorological exp...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Long Trail in March
September 05, 3:49pm

Re: Various questions, mostly for Richard
another two to add to that list of questions 4) what about lower legs, I dont think youd be very warm with a down jacket and supplex pants? 5) is the down jacket's loft single layer or do...

In GEAR » The best clothing combinations for backpacking or hiking?
September 05, 12:22pm

Re: Podcast: Francis Tapon is Set to Complete a Backpacking First - a CDT Yo-yo
That was really interesting. I'm not going to give anything away, but good work cutting down the denouement of the podcast. Now all you have to do is cut down a little bit of the 2 minute int...

In Editor's Roundtable » Podcast: Francis Tapon is Set to Complete a Backpacking First - a CDT Yo-yo
September 04, 10:49pm

Re: how I calculated surface area %
so is that the mannequin's measurements or yours? I suppose there would be large differences for each person, especially between the genders in the chest region.

September 04, 12:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Also confused
OK Sooo I've done know how to do the calculations for the BMR now, but how do you do percentage of surface area? I saw a little of that lab report, but I don't really wanna read through a...

September 04, 11:49am

Also confused
Where is the base data (clo values) for all these clothing types coming from? I was considering asking a really obnoxious question for everything I own, but I hope I could figure it all out on my ...

September 03, 9:50pm

Re: best guess.....
Also, how much water and food are you going to carry, thats where all the volume and weight add up.

In GEAR » Which backpack w/ a hammock
September 03, 9:45pm

Re: Gearlist for timeframe
Robert stated earlier that this is obviously not a winter gear list, so what else would you need for that? Vapor Barriers? huge down jacket? I recently pulled up two old articles that a related t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Doing Denali Light: Post-Trip Report and Gearlist
September 02, 5:54pm

Re: Urls for the chosen R1 Hoody and Windshirt
The R1 hoody is made by Patagonia. There was an original version with an offset zip, and then the present one which is at this link... http://tinyurl.com/2o9uzr

September 02, 5:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Jon Rhoderick

Showing 1 - 10 of 16 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Smartwool Midweight Lomgsleeve Zip
This thing is absolutely phenomenal. Between rolling the sleeves up and the zip, I'm comfy hiking from 80 to about 40 with just the base layer, and down to about 30 or 25 with a rain jacket. Use...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
December 08, 12:55am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
This, an OR Celestial jacket, smartwool mid pullover, and balaclava kept me tolerably warm down to 10* in the canyons of Utah. Packs well, feels great against your skin, and it doesn't seem to ha...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
December 08, 12:48am

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
This book is rad. Took it on a NOLS backcountry ski course and pretty much found that we did virtually all the cool tips in this book for 12 days and were not even close to getting uncomfortable. I ...

In Books and Media
December 08, 12:39am

Petzl Meteor III Climbing Helmet
This thing looks like its not going to last long for those who climb really head bangerlike routes. Luckily have yet to test its strength, but what I like most is its fit. I haven't gone and tri...

In Climbing Gear & Accessories
December 08, 12:29am

Trango Superfly Screwlock Carabiner
Used these on Wind River multipitches, after a belay biner or two these are awesome for filling in a bunch of lockers for security and not actually worrying about the weight. Great grippy screw, spin...

In Climbing Gear & Accessories
December 08, 12:22am

Mountain Hardwear 2-3 year old windshell
Simple halfzip, green nylon windshell that stuffs into its pocket. Lined collar drawcord hem and clip for carabiner. The nylon is a ripstop that is very comfortable on the skin, this and a base laye...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
March 17, 1:33pm

Outdoor Research Celestial
I just picked this jacket up from a closeout, still pricey at $150, but its a high quality jacket. It uses GoreTex paclite, which has average breathability but the weight is not bad at all, 10.5 oz f...

In Clothing - Raingear
March 17, 1:26pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
I've heard they fixed some problems but the pair I had didn't last more than 1 day hike along with about 3 months as using them as my go to shoes. I got them in September and come December I ...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 24, 3:05pm

Outdoor Research Sequence Base Layers
For the price I think that it would be very hard to find better base layers than the Outdoor Research Sequence long sleeve or short sleeve tops. They are a mix of wool and polyester, and having owned...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
January 24, 2:57pm

Montbell Thermawrap Action
This is a very interesting garment, Golite made a similar model a while ago, that features a 50g synthetic insulation body with 15 denier nylon along with stretch fleece sides. The fleece adds to the...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
January 24, 2:48pm