BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Guest

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 191 - 199 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

Re: "Patagonia Traverse Softshell Review"
I've been using the Traverse pants for a little over a month now and they have become my first choice for nearly all my outdoor activities. I use them for running home from college, evening tra...

In Editor's Roundtable » Patagonia Traverse Softshell Review
November 05, 3:44am

Re: "Material for lightweight campsite shoes"
I sometimes carry a pair of 'Crocs' style shoes that are pretty light, protect your feet well and can be waterproofed by wearing a pair of Tyvek booties over my socks. Other times I use a p...

In Make Your Own Gear » Material for lightweight campsite shoes
September 12, 12:35am

Re: "Stand alone belt reccomendations"
Like Art I use a length of 1" nylon webbing with plastic buckle and tensioner. Light, adjustable, dries quickly and as it was made up from my scrap/spares box it was cheap as chips!

In GEAR » Stand alone belt reccomendations
September 10, 12:32am

Re: "Backpacks and Back Sweat"
As a sweaty kinda guy I've had both backpacks with absolutely no back ventilation and ones with the concave/mesh design and couldn't notice too much difference in sweatiness but the pack wi...

In GEAR » Backpacks and Back Sweat
September 05, 6:27am

RE: "Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not"
Hooded, preferably rolled into the collar like my perfect Montane Lite-speed.

In GEAR » Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not
September 04, 1:15pm

Re: "Looking for small Mesh stuff bags"
I use Alpkit Vortex mesh bags for larger items and for smaller items or sub-diving the Alpkit bags I use the small mesh bags that come with some washing powder/laundry detergent tablets.

In GEAR » Looking for small Mesh stuff bags
August 25, 1:19pm

Re: "Headlamp / Hat combo"
Great idea. Any chance of some pictoral instructions?

In Multiple Use Gear » Headlamp / Hat combo
July 28, 7:41am

Re: "Does Carbon fiber hiking pole conduct electricity?"
Yes, very, very well.

In GEAR » Does Carbon fiber hiking pole conduct electricity?
July 24, 4:34am

re "Ditch Your Stakes: A Guide To Alternative Shelter Anchors"
Informative article and some of the best, clearest illustrations I've ever seen.

In Editor's Roundtable » Ditch Your Stakes: A Guide To Alternative Shelter Anchors
July 09, 1:30am

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am