BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 191 - 200 of 1146 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...115

Forum » Thread

"Modern man vs mad dog" preceded by "Less is more"
I remember the Mad Dog article but there was also another BP article earlier in the 90's by Mark Jenkins "Less is More, (April 1994, p. 75) kind of all over the place, plus another somewh...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Grocery Sack Grows Up: A Genealogy of the Modern Ultralight Backpack
April 10, 11:24am

Back to Texas "proper"
Also when are you thinking of traveling? Credit to Mitch Kilby for the following from a recent thread in "General Backpacking": "Just to comment - the name of the new trail in Au...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
April 10, 11:15am

Re: Diphenhydramine
I'm highly allergic to mulberry and always bring these (in addition to an inhaler). You never know when those sneaky pollen particles will hitch a ride on an air current up a valley.

In Multiple Use Gear » Diphenhydramine
April 10, 10:44am

Re: papers
Not sure about other parts of the US but am familiar with "the borderlands" of southern AZ, CA, NM, and far west TX. Unless you have a US drivers license and accent, also bring your pa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
April 10, 10:32am

Re: Re: No Amtrak to Big Bend or Guadalupe.
Just a note to those unfamiliar with the "smaller" Texas cities. They've grown up so make sure your travel plans avoid the morning and evening commutes. El Paso just surpassed Detro...

April 10, 9:33am

Re: Legality of Wild Camping in the US
Generally out West there is more public land to wild camp on (BLM, National Forest). Major cities are Albuquerque, El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, Los Angeles, and San Francisco in the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Legality of Wild Camping in the US
April 10, 8:04am

Re: Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
There are some hiking trails on mostly state and county public lands but they are mostly day use areas (think you can pay to "car-camp" though - a former assignment sent me there 1 week o...

April 10, 7:10am

Re: Public service announcement... DO leave your couch.
Sorry Ian, health statistics shows we all need to walk it off (what else can you do if not sitting?) http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-sitting-all-day-is-killing-you/ (Of course recove...

In Chaff » Public service announcement... don't leave your couch.
April 09, 10:03am

New Zimmerbuilt ZB-2 30L base for 40F ish nights (UL base)
New ZB-2 from Chris Zimmer at about 30L volume (23" height) and 21 oz (no frame but has capability to use one). Loving that black dyneema grid. I had Chris cut down the volume on th...

In GEAR » New Zimmerbuilt ZB-2 30L base for 40F ish nights (UL base)
April 08, 12:46pm

Re: Oily skin and down bags
With oily skin, I make sure I'm sleeping in some sort of balaclava. A down hood (for my quilt) would be added over the balaclava. Much easier cleaning fleece than down.

In GEAR » Oily skin and down bags
April 08, 11:39am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.