BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Earth (mostly)
About Me Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Goal here is more MPD in a UL, yet comfortable style iot experience scenic hikes without sweating buckets, but also crank out miles if needed for whatever. Mix with travel too. Not into snowy sagas or recreating a French Foreign Legion forced desert march .. but never say never.

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 191 - 200 of 983 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...99

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail
One of those standing grills (the metal circular ones) and lawn chairs to basecamp at Highland Mary Lakes in Colorado's Weminuche (the Northwest side). They would just spend all day and night ...

In GEAR » The most "non lightweight" thing you've seen on the trail
September 17, 4:20pm

Details please
That's all we need. More pictures of gear to invest our paychecks on ... er, I mean, blow our paychecks. Got ... to ... resist ... Seriously though, what fabric is on the underside of the...

In GEAR » Want to give a shout out to Zimmerpacks
September 17, 9:25am

Backpacker magazine and survival tips
The reason they started an annual survival issue was one of their interns lost her life on a trip (don't recall, but don't think the trip was official). The new survival issue is out a...

In Chaff » Backpacker Magazine
September 08, 2:25pm

Yosemite bears and bear spray
Hasn't been any fatalities in Yosemite and in one case humans actually scared a mother bear in abandoning her cub, so that subspecies might be a bit more chicken than other groups of black bear...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
September 08, 2:21pm

Lightweight spices and oils - type and storage?
Been thinking of taking foil packaged meats and cooking them in the lid of my Snowpeak while beans cook in the pot below. Thinking mostly of fajitas but what type of oils and spices should I bring...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lightweight spices and oils - type and storage?
September 03, 9:54am

Re: 6 days backpacking in Glacier NP
Great pics and info. Anytime someone can take some photos is great to give a visual sense of that place and conditions.

In Post-Trip Reports » 6 days backpacking in Glacier NP
August 31, 10:28am

Re: Dyatlov Pass incident
Just reading the current wiki on the incident, since the bodies were found partially disrobed with no external injuries is consistent with hypothermia where the victims warm blood surges to the ski...

In Chaff » Dyatlov Pass incident
August 31, 8:11am

Far West TX and Trans-Pecos
Just to add, both Big Bend NP and Big Bend SP have some nice hikes. Also near the Lubbock area there's Caprock SP and Palo Duro Canyon SP, one with a fairly recent "rail to trail" li...

In Pre-Trip Planning » texas
August 25, 2:49pm

Re: how did this happen?
I thought the forest service encouraged fires to burn often to prevent these mega fires from happening. After out by the next 10 AM, for awhile they were generally letting them burn but pressure...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » California Rim Fire is getting BIG!
August 24, 5:23pm

Re: Day hikes around Santa Fe
The perimeter has reopened after the fires so there's the western lakes (keep going up to the TH by Ski Santa Fe from the NE side of Santa Fe) or Hamilton Mesa via Iron Creek TH and maybe Pecos...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Day hikes around Santa Fe
August 18, 6:42pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.