Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, ... thinking about multi-week.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 191 - 200 of 1467 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...147

Forum » Thread

Presence
As ken says, police needs to be visible ("presence"). The problem they are having with the Paris situation is its not "lone wolf" as the 4 males and 1 female appeared to have s...

In Chaff » Uniformed Police Uniform Review
January 09, 10:58pm

Re: Why do male adventurers not take their female partners along?
Only about 20% of the women I've dated after my divorce have been interested. Think the caveman principle is dying out with younger generations, .. my brother started dating a woman who backp...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do male adventurers not take their female partners along?
January 09, 11:32am

Water bars (and roots) can = Speed Bumps
Water bars can unintentionally act as speed bumps, flipping a bicyclist if distracted. Actually saw this happen hiking Pt Reyes last summer up the Bear Valley trail (a multi-use fire road with bik...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
January 08, 11:13am

Trip planning and preparation - backpacker expert advice
Found this little gem. While BPL and relavant reviews give better specific advice, the big picture helps sometimes (IMHO): http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/expert-advice-how-do-i-set-be...

In On the Web » Trip planning and preparation - backpacker expert advice
January 07, 10:59am

Fracking or quakes not my field but Q/A with published researcher
I'm not even remotely qualified to answer but here's an online Q & A with a geologist who published scientific research in this field March 2014, which is the first paper to link frac...

In Chaff » Fracking
January 07, 10:55am

FS: Patagonia XL
Alpine wind and Los Lobos (both gray) now at a site rhyming with Fleabay as of this edit with buy now options

In Gear Swap » FS: Patagonia XL
January 07, 9:29am

Re: Estimating Mileage for Grand Canyon
Going up is just a climb (think 1hr = 1000 ft for most), but going down so much faster. The Tonto is relatively flat and mostly just a bit dusty. One could make some miles if some of the water so...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Estimating Mileage for Grand Canyon
January 05, 2:26pm

Re: Re: Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
@Micheal: After fires closed all other NM forests, we did Latir first and it seemed like a lot of little splendid views vs. Wheeler which is one spectacular view (assuming PM dust isn't an issu...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
January 05, 12:26pm

Re: Insurance during a long hike
For domestic travel (AZ, CA, NM constantly), .. I carry my medical and dental insurance cards from my home ("domicile" in legal speak ... a judge I've hiked with says to have one) an...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Insurance during a long hike
January 05, 12:17pm

Re: Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
There are differences. The Latir Pks lend themselves to mostly short rocky and/or forested side trips, though loops can be explored and even making mini-loops. Wheeler Pk is accessible by a few ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
January 05, 11:22am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.