BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 191 - 200 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: P&S advice - and prints
Hi Jeff, You might best concentrate on larger chip compacts and consider buying used. A G10, LX3, S90, GX200 will give excellent results and let you shoot RAW. They should all be available at yo...

In Photography » P&S advice - and prints
September 06, 10:59pm

Re: Most accurate handheld GPS?
I suspect for most, sensitivity probably trumps accuracy, which is to say your ability to acquire and track a location in difficult conditions (forest cover, canyons) is more important than whether...

In GEAR » Most accurate handheld GPS?
September 06, 5:37pm

Re: uh oh
Bet you were expecting a different response, eh Cameron? This sandbox is too full of brown crayons to play in. Cheers, Rick

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
September 05, 11:50am

Re:Sawyer SP122 Flow Rate?
Is this a new filter or used? Have you tried backwashing at the faucet? If used, have you run chlorine solution through it? You're still at about half the rate I'd expect. Cheers, ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Sawyer SP122 Flow Rate?
September 01, 8:26pm

Re: Mt. Rainier National Park 4 Aug- 8 Aug: Northern/Mother Figure Eight + 3 Burroughs
Really lovely David, makes me quite homesick for the Cascades and their volcano string. Nice touches with the Rainier beer and li'l future hiker dude :-) Cheers, Rick p.s. Berkeley bea...

In Post-Trip Reports » Mt. Rainier National Park 4 Aug- 8 Aug: Northern/Mother Figure Eight + 3 Burroughs
September 01, 3:01pm

Re: Baylisascarias egg size
The Steripen prefilters are 40x40 ┬Ám, as one that comes to mind. Pretty coarse, actually. Cheers, Rick

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Worms in the Water: Are Chemical Treatments and UV Too Risky?
September 01, 2:36pm

Re: Zooms ... Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
@ FritoKid "Nike Air Tallac Zooms. Great lightweight boot and they were tough to find from the get-go. Bought a pair and wore them for awhile even though they were a little too small (only ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
September 01, 12:45pm

Re: Sawyer SP122 Flow Rate?
Seconded. Clear all the air (in hose and in filter) and you should get very good flow. You're using 1/4" ID tubing, yes? Cheers, Rick

In Make Your Own Gear » Sawyer SP122 Flow Rate?
August 31, 3:35pm

Re: Fly Creek 3 - Fly Leaks Like Crazy!
This must be some of that sil-nylon "misting" I've read so much about. :-) Yikes, that's a lotta water. I hope BA does right by you and if it's not an anomoly, kicks some f...

In GEAR » Fly Creek 3 - Fly Leaks Like Crazy!
August 31, 12:07pm

Re: Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
Nice article gents, and timely. I like lightweight mid-tops for a couple reasons: they can eliminate the need for debris gaiters, of which I can't seem to find a pair I can hike with for ext...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
August 30, 3:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm