BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 191 - 200 of 1283 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...129

Forum » Thread

Cracking cans
According to my students, the person hired to monitor and tag the bear aid it was knocking them over a cliff, then going down to eat the contents. Nothing half opened to begin with. FWIW, the b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 27, 12:16am

re: ULA Pack
I've owned and carried both the Circuit and the Catalyst. If you want a load hauler, I would suggest the Catalyst is the better pack for you. Heavier loads require more structure to support ...

In GEAR » ULA Pack
August 25, 2:20pm

Bear & Garcia
I had actually heard about this two weeks ago from a student who went backpacking in Yosemite. The bear was working in the area he was camped in, and he and his buddies had already chased it off se...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 25, 2:14pm

Re: Re: Straight Frame
You know, Dave, it finally occurred to me last night that there is a huge difference between external and internal packs when it comes to frames or stays. An internal framed pack rides directly aga...

In GEAR » Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by ULA packs? [crickets chirping]
August 21, 9:17am

Re: Straight Frame
Sorry, I can't see the actual frame of the brown one you just posted, but the green frame in the post above does indeed have a shallow "S" curve, exaggerated at the bottom of the fram...

August 20, 10:07pm

Straight Frame
Yes, I would call it 'a shallow but definite "S" curve, more accentuated at the bottom than at the top'. And yes, the Mystery Ranch frame is very minimally curved at the top. But ...

August 20, 8:38pm

External frame vertical?
Re: "External pack frames, which one can argue are the best for transferring weight to the hips have completely vertical frames. Completely vertical." My old external frames were not c...

August 20, 4:56pm

fish curling
When my kids were little, we lived in northern Canada, in the NWT (much like where David lives, but without salmon or grizzlies!). One "spring" we heard that the ice had broken up and the...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 5:55pm

fish questions
I'm with David on bleeding - I gave up bonking fish on the head a long time ago. I usually just stick a sharp knife into the throat area, wiggle it back and forth, and the fish is dead and not ...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 5:26pm

Too small?
To the OP: I understand you've had plenty of experience with packs, but if you were only able to get a 60/40 distribution of weight with a Circuit, I suggest you look at the large sized pack. Y...

August 19, 9:12am

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am