BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 191 - 200 of 1305 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...131

Forum » Thread

re: Re: RE RE Expeds leak
Like Dave said, you can get multiple reports of failing inflatables. In my case, I've had multiple problems with NeoAirs, and not a single problem with my Exped UL Synmat or Downmat. Thus I ...

In GEAR » Exped Synmat UL7 LW or Big Agnes Q-Core LW?
September 23, 12:19pm

Re: Re: lightweight and liquid-tight bottles
Ditto on the small Nalgene bottles. A bit heavier than some bottles, but they just don't leak!

In GEAR » lightweight and liquid-tight bottles
September 22, 9:13pm

re: Minimalist Bug Solutions?
The obvious questions are, "How sane are you to begin with? And how much/little would it take to push you over the edge?" ;)

In GEAR » Minimalist Bug Solutions?
September 19, 2:57pm

re: Educate me on guylines
I generally use the Skurka method, especially with a cuben tarp (no stretch with those!). I've been very happy with it, it's strong, very light weight and very versatile. I have some ML...

In GEAR » Educate me on guylines and line locks
September 19, 2:54pm

Review
A review of the Mini is here and answers some questions above: http://sticksblog.com/2013/09/18/first-look-the-sawyer-mini-water-filter/ MLD has it for $24. Looks like the same filter, lig...

In Gear Deals » New Sawyer 2014 MINI Filter on Sale
September 19, 8:24am

re: Re: Exped Noise
I'm with Jennifer here! When I had a brief flirtation with the Thermarest XLite, it kept both me and my wife awake with its loud crinkling. But my Exped UL Synmat is as quiet as the grave. O...

In GEAR » A Question for You Science-Minded Folks...
September 11, 7:10pm

re: Ah, the stench of Ziploc bags...
When I stick my nose in a box of unused Ziplocks, I can't smell anything besides plastic. I'm guessing then that the nasty smell is from interaction with the food and plastic and not just t...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Ah, the stench of Ziploc bags...
September 11, 9:22am

re: Re: re: One obvious but illegal option...
Yeah, I think it's really an issue of knowing the locale, and being more committed to keeping the forest safe than to a favored cooking method. (My personal favorite cooking method is small cam...

In GEAR » Looking for best UL cooking system
September 11, 9:01am

re: One obvious but illegal option...
Maybe the reason it's not mentioned much is that for a goodly number of us in the western USA, the open fire method is pretty much illegal these days...especially when the mountains and woods a...

In GEAR » Looking for best UL cooking system
September 10, 8:35pm

re: Re: Cooking Fish w/ Canister Stove?
Ahem, Justin, we refined backpacking gourmets call boiling trout, "poaching" - lightly boiling in a tasty stock. White wine (per David), or chicken bouillon, a few herbs, some lemon - ex...

In Fishing » Cooking Fish w/ Canister Stove?
September 08, 1:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am