BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 191 - 200 of 392 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Trip report on Golite Poncho as HH rainfly
Brian, I carry a Gossamer Gear double SpinnSheet (3.3 oz.). It also is used for cooking fly, staging area for packing and unpacking, and ground cloth if I have to go the the ground. I lay it o...

In Multiple Use Gear » GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
July 23, 2:36pm

Re: starting a fire with flint and steel
Practice by lighting your compressed gas canister or alcohol stove. Much more reliable than BIC lighters. The art is preparing your tender - the spark part is easy.

In Philosophy & Technique » starting a fire with flint and steel
July 23, 2:04pm

Re: Warmlite Triple Bags
Sharon, I have a Warmlite Triple bag and use it mostly for winter car camping. I prefer VB clothing in the backcountry because I can wear it around camp and less flash discomfort for nature c...

In GEAR » Warmlite Triple Bags
July 21, 7:29am

Re: Service to ourselves
Yep. I am the trail adopter for a little part of the Colorado Trail. Worked on a number of Eagle projects over the years. Make annual contributions to the Colorado Trail Foundation. I a...

In Philosophy & Technique » Service to ourselves
July 19, 12:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Compass Bearing need spreadsheet help
EinsteinX, My perception of your project is that is a fun math challenge, but will not be useful in the field. Elite orienteers navigate from the topographic maps and seldom travel on a compass...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Compass Bearing need spreadsheet help
July 16, 3:22pm

Re: Compass Bearing need spreadsheet help
EinsteinX, The math is way beyond me, but does it make a difference that the distance between longitude varies with latitude? A straightline is seldom the best route between two points. Why ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Compass Bearing need spreadsheet help
July 16, 2:51pm

Re: Tested last night
Wayne, I carry three 12.5' TripTease cords (.4 oz.) to guy the poncho. The third one is clove hitched around the hood and rigged to an overhead limb. This also keeps the poncho above the r...

July 14, 10:06am

Re: Re: Re: GoLite Poncho as hammock fly
Jaiden, In the hammock forum I have posted 3 pictures of the HH using a Campmor Ultralight Extension poncho (9.3 oz.) and 1 using the GoLite Poncho (10.7) with an Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock....

July 13, 6:53am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Akula/Torre
Henk, I believe 62 inches will work for you.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Nunatak Akula & Torre
July 13, 6:43am

Re: Re: Akula/Torre
Henk, I own a Nunatak Arc Alpinist. I find the elephants foot combination interesting, but have no experience. I am a side sleeper and the Jacks'R"Better No Sniveller quilt (21.2 oz...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Nunatak Akula & Torre
July 12, 4:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am