BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 191 - 200 of 392 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Western NC Summer List
There are definitely some things you could change if you wanted to shed a few pounds.* But if not, it looks like a great ~10 lbs. base weight. *(If you wanted to shed weight, grab a 40 degree q...

In Gear Lists » Western NC Summer List
July 14, 4:26pm

Quilts and Dogs (and Duomids)
I backpack with my dog occasionally and basically opted for the Duomid to accommodate him (he doesn't fit in a bivy). He gets cold quite easily and often ends up under my quilt with me, which ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking with a dog
July 14, 11:01am

Movies that somehow come up every trip
I have yet to go on a backpacking trip (granted with mostly dudes in their early 30s) in which Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Last of the Mohicans doesn't come up at least once, either in co...

In Chaff » Your favorite adventure movies?
July 14, 7:53am

Weight For It ...
Um, aren't guns heavy? What are you looking at for weapon and ammunition weight-wise? (And what is your arming status? Do you hike with a chambered bullet? Clip in the gun?)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Are you "packing" while you are packing?
July 13, 11:48am

In all seriousness (hah)
It's an interesting thought: If backpacking is one's number one hobby and source of satisfaction (not the only thing, but the key thing), does one's significant other need to share in ...

In Chaff » BPL meets Match.com
July 12, 6:30pm

Jetboil vs. Alcohol
I've been using alcohol and Esbit with a small Caldera cone system and titanium mug/pot for a couple years. But I splurged on a whim last week and ordered a Jetboil Titanium sol for the he...

In Gear Lists » First gearlist post!! JMT late august, please shred
July 12, 6:06pm

Cool project
Happy to support. Thanks for alerting us to Hendrik's project!

In On the Web » Hendrik on Kickstarter!
July 11, 9:01pm

Re: Roomy, warm quilt alternative to Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #2/#3
If money isn't a big deal, I'd say go with the Nunatak Arc Alpinist quilt. You can get great (accurate) rating to 20 degrees for 20 ounces in the Quantum version. I switched to quilts l...

In GEAR » Roomy, warm quilt alternative to Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #2/#3
July 11, 3:17pm

Re: The craze with frameless
I go frameless because it feels great and makes for a more rewarding and fun backpacking experience. Keep in mind that packs are made differently. I don't think it's fair to have an REI F...

In Philosophy & Technique » The craze with frameless
July 11, 10:55am

MLD Exodus
I feel like we all know exactly what each one of us is going to recommend. So here goes: skip the frame totally and grab an MLD Exodus. Skip most of the features. Enjoy a great pack! Edit: ...

In GEAR » WTB: 20 ish oz pack
July 10, 5:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm