Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 191 - 200 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: UL gear and planes
This last year I've flown to the east coast of the U.S. and to SoCal (from here in the north Cascades) with my gear in a duffel bag. What I did was box the duffel and my town clothes and mailed it...

In GEAR » UL gear and planes
June 19, 11:34am

special forces clothiing system -- prices?
These clothes aren't designed for backpacking or climbing. They appear to be well-made and probably are well-thought out for the purposes they are intended for. I'm just pretty certain that there...

In GEAR » Special Forces Clothing System.
June 03, 6:01pm

@#^$^& horsepackers!
I've had my share of profoundly negative exeperiences with horse parties. In 1992 I saw a group stake their horses out in Benson Lake in Yosemite Park. I've also seen a group of horses spook ...

In Chaff » Do you hate horses too?
May 14, 12:01pm

packaging peanut butter
I've found peanut butter prepackaged in a squeeze tube. In fact, I've found peanut butter and jelly prepackaged mixed in a squeeze tube. Most jelly will keep as well as peanut butter so there isn...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking without kitchen
April 20, 2:17pm

eating on the installment plan
Generally, I've found that "lunch" on a hike is whatever is consumed between the time I leave camp in the morning and when I set the pack down for the last time and pitch the tarp. If I'm not walk...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Energy Bars
April 14, 7:26pm

references on water-borne disease and hiking...
Googling for "yosemite giardia" brought this page up (in fact, it was at the top of the list): http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/Giardia.htm Read it and draw your own conclusions. Anot...

In GEAR » Best Potable Water
April 13, 5:50pm

another clif bar fan
I pretty consistently choke down one clif bar a day on a trip. For a longer trip and consistent high-mileage days (e.g. 20+ mpd), maybe two a day and a gel or two. Probably the biggest thing I ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Energy Bars
April 13, 11:02am

untreated water tastes the best
I think there is a pernicious combination of land manager's liability fears, media hype, and the willingness of the Gear Industry to sell people what they think they want. It isn't really a "consp...

In GEAR » Best Potable Water
April 09, 5:38pm

cowboy coffee
The secret with cowboy coffee is to use eggshells to get the grounds to sink. One eggs worth in a ziploc last me through several days.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Camp Coffee
April 06, 2:02pm

go to a dollar store...
Umbrellas are great but shockingly easy to pulverize. Until you get some experience I'd recommend buying a very inexpensive one.

In GEAR » Umbrellas - which one
March 17, 2:23pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am