BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me Backpacking Light online magazine Editor-in-chief. I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I schedule mountain trips as often as I can to get my thin air "fix." Currently, I'm enjoying experimenting with heavier options like hammocking and more complex cooking. I keep my base weight from creeping up too far by starting from a SuperUltraLight gear list and making limited heavier substitutions.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 191 - 200 of 278 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Windscreen Dynamics and Design
Companion forum thread to: Stove Windscreen Dynamics and Design Part I Wind Effects on Stove Performance and Stove Windscreen Dynamics and Design Part II Practical Applications for the Field

In Editor's Roundtable » Windscreen Dynamics and Design
June 07, 8:44am

Links
Thanks David and Bill. Let me know if you can't click through now (I was using the format we use within articles but have corrected it for the forums.)

In Editor's Roundtable » How Far, How Fast, How Heavy? Calculating the range for unsupported, long-distance hiking
June 07, 8:38am

Hiking alone--a female perspective
I backpack alone frequently. I like to take trips mid-week to maximize my solitude. I don't agree with Ryan though. It seems to me that men are subjected to huge social pressures as well as women. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Solo or No Go
June 06, 6:29pm

MYOG Sewing Primer
Hi Ian, We'll be publishing basic sewing instructions by Jam Ham before the end of June. Topics: sewing machine set up, top stitch, felled seams, reinforcing seams.

In Make Your Own Gear » Beginner DIY-er: Considerations of Feasability, Cost
June 06, 6:03pm

Water Weight Gain and Drying Characteristics of Lightweight Hiking Shoes after Submersion
Companion thread to: Water Weight Gain and Drying Characteristics of Lightweight Hiking Shoes after Submersion

In Editor's Roundtable » Water Weight Gain and Drying Characteristics of Lightweight Hiking Shoes after Submersion
June 01, 6:09pm

Winners will be announced June 7
Hi all, We'll be announcing the winners June 7th. I apologize about the long wait! We're getting the gift certificates ready for the winners now - at least there won't be a long delay between the ...

In Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries
May 26, 10:31am

How Far, How Fast, How Heavy? Calculating the range for unsupported, long-distance hiking
Companion thread to: How Far, How Fast, How Heavy? Calculating the range for unsupported, long-distance hiking

In Editor's Roundtable » How Far, How Fast, How Heavy? Calculating the range for unsupported, long-distance hiking
May 23, 10:25pm

FALSE - no deal
Sorry all, Gary Peterson from WM wrote to say that was a small private deal between a group of friends and the owner of Paramount Sports. It was not for the public. So don't write Travis!

In Gear Deals » Paramount Sports is doing a group purchase. Email Travis there 20% discount on WM sleeping bags
May 12, 12:49pm

FALSE - no deal
Sorry all, Gary Peterson from WM wrote to say that was a small private deal between a group of friends and the owner of Paramount Sports. It was not for the public. So don't write Travis!

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering Group purchase, 20% off!
May 12, 12:49pm

2006 Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto
Companion thread to: 2006 Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto

In Editor's Roundtable » 2006 Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto
May 02, 11:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am