BPL Community Profile

Matt Lutz (citystuckhiker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Hiker-turned-ultramarathon runner. Sorry backpack, I've neglected you.
CityMankato
StateMinnesota
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://crazyrunnerguy.blogspot.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter 2011-12

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matt Lutz

Showing 191 - 200 of 805 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...81

Forum » Thread

Re: dodger
On the dodgers - Justin Licher aka Trauma used dodgers with his GG tarp on his 10K miles trip in 2006. It effectively created a four-season tarp setup. Justin once stayed snowbound three days in th...

In GEAR » Beaked Tarps
October 01, 9:13am

Re: Re: Re: the infamous smartwool shadow hoody
@stacy - couldn't agree more. Also, in winter, the balaclava-style hood on the R1 works great to keep out drafts, retain heat, etc.

In GEAR » ul merino hoody
October 01, 8:37am

Re: Re: Wind Shirt Questions
Why not? I used a hooded windshirt over an R1 Hoody last winter to much success. It cut wind, retained body heat, and allowed my to slip easily inside a softshell or puffy jacket when the weather t...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt Questions
October 01, 6:28am

Re: Free-Vestibule for ID Mk I Tent
Got it yesterday evening (and ordered pole from Evan at ID that afteroon before I got it). Do you know what the model year is? It does not look like the model and has a single zipper to attach to t...

In Gear Swap » Free-Vestibule for ID Mk I Tent
October 01, 5:59am

Re: RE: Wind Shirt Questions
A windshirt around here is generally an unlined jacket made of a single layer of highly water resistant fabric, such as Pertex, Momentum or a proprietary in-house fabric. Many have a single poc...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt Questions
September 30, 6:45pm

Re: The North Face Beeline Sleeping Bag Review
Great review. That comparison photo with the Marmot Hydrogen is pretty damning. I have the Hydrogen and appreciate the sculpted hood - If I was going with a bag at 30 degrees, I would want a good h...

In Editor's Roundtable » The North Face Beeline Sleeping Bag Review
September 29, 4:11pm

Re: Catenary Help - Pictures
OK, that's what I thought was done. I was worried about the tarp ridgeline buckling because of the slope of the curve. I guess it is not as severe as I thought. Also: bookmarked page - all M...

In Make Your Own Gear » Catenary Help
September 29, 2:55pm

Re: Salomon XA Comp vs. Salomon XA Pro 3D
Not to hammer the shoes, but I wore a hole in the shoes and the gore tex lining in the Pro 3D GTXs in 2008 after 180 trail miles. Holes appeared on each side of the ball of my foot where the shoe b...

In GEAR » Salomon XA Comp vs. Salomon XA Pro 3D
September 29, 2:54pm

Re: Re: caternary
So the part that gets me about MYOG cat-cut tarps is how do you sew the ridgeline? I have an Oware cat tarp, and the ridgeline appears to me a French seam (maybe flatfelled?), but with the curve, h...

In Make Your Own Gear » Catenary Help
September 29, 11:50am

Re: How low can you go with a base layer, windshirt and rain jacket?
As stated, the hands dictate. I'd say 20s with an R1 hoody + hooded windshirt and powerstretch gloves. Pants are required.

In GEAR » How low can you go with a base layer, windshirt and rain jacket?
September 28, 7:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Matt Lutz

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Scree (softshell pants)
There is so much to love about these pants, but the little details kill any possibility of a 5 rating. So 4 it is. The good: The pants are made of Marmot's proprietary M3 fabric, which is a ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
October 20, 9:50am

Zpacks Z1
I bought my Z1 from a BPL forum member. It had a webbing waist belt and a removable sternum strap. I have since removed the waistbelt (via scissors) and removed the sternum strap, which was attached t...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 03, 10:22am

Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
I have a 2008 MB Inner down Parka, and I wish I would have waited until the 2009 models were released before hitting "submit order." I have a size small, which weighs in at 7.2 oz. The ja...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 03, 9:24am

Black Diamond Windweight (formerly Jetstream)
I have owned two pairs of BD wind-proof liner gloves - an older pair of Jetstreams and the new model, their Windweights. Both used Polartec Windbloc fabric. These gloves are excellent next-to-skin...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 9:15am

Black Diamond Powerstretch (now Midweights)
These are my go-to liner gloves for all seasons. In three-season wear, they are are breathable and not too warm when the temperature dips. In cold and wet weather, I use them under a pair of MLD eVent...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 8:50am