BPL Community Profile

jeffrey armbruster (book) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern California
About Me bookseller. nordic skier. backpacker.
Cityberkeley
Stateca
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jeffrey armbruster

Showing 191 - 200 of 622 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...63

Forum » Thread

"Accuracy or otherwise of GPS"
Jerry, I have an older model Garmin 60csx. I carry it on a clip, that came with my model, on my pack shoulder strap. I love this clip because it's really easy to unclip the unit, use it, and c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Accuracy or otherwise of GPS
July 28, 8:09pm

"Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts"
Had I brought my Triumph anorak on the trip which ended up raining/sleeting for two days, I WOULD have continued on over a pass the first day. I didn't have rain pants--it's June in the Sie...

In GEAR » Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts
July 23, 2:30pm

"Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts"
Earlier this year I went on a six day hike. No chance of rain according to two forecasts. I'd ripped the sleeve of my North Face Triumph anorak earlier still in the season and was 'forced&#...

In GEAR » Leaving the rain jacket at home... thoughts
July 23, 10:02am

"Patagonia Capilene Glove Liners?"
Sungrubbies. Great for sun protection, great for mosquitoes. Not so good for warmth, although better than nothing as I recently found out. Fingers may be too short for you.

In GEAR » Patagonia Capilene Glove Liners?
July 21, 8:22pm

"Why do I gain weight after a hike?"
I read a study about muscle recovery which concluded that maltodextrin was good for that.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Why do I gain weight after a hike?
July 21, 1:41pm

"Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters?"
Yep the mld gaiters--I have the calf length style--are ridiculously light and effective. Put them on in the morning and go. However: I do tend to fiddle with my boot laces until I get them just ri...

In GEAR » Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters?
July 16, 1:26pm

"Is a groundsheet really necessary?"
For about 2 oz. I find a polycryo groundsheet worth carrying. Necessary? No. But it keeps dirt/moisture off my tent floor. Now that I have a Hexamid with a net floor, I really like the idea of keep...

In GEAR » Is a groundsheet really necessary?
July 15, 10:19am

"Duomid inner question"
edit

In GEAR » Duomid inner question
July 14, 8:14pm

"Humphreys Basin - food/bear strategies"
Bearikade scout. Good for six days. Packs great, so lightweight that you really don't begrudge having to carry it. Lasts 'forever', so if you pro-rate the cost over dozens of trips, it&...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Humphreys Basin - food/bear strategies
July 14, 1:21pm

"Humphreys Basin - food/bear strategies"
As for Humphreys Basin itself, no trees suitable for hanging. It's wide open. You could possibly camp near a cliff wall and climb high enough to stash your food, but little critters might still...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Humphreys Basin - food/bear strategies
July 14, 10:17am

All Reader Reviews by jeffrey armbruster

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Vasque Breeze GTX
These boots really are a breeze on your feet. Unlike another reviewer, I found these boots to have terrific ankle support. However, the deal-killer for me is the relatively narrow toe box. Full disclo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
March 16, 7:35pm