BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 191 - 200 of 245 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

The Water in the Sierra's is already pure
Your plan to only carry 1 quart of water is a good one but you really don't need to carry a water filter on the JMT. Just be smart when you collect water and wash your hands with hand sanitizer...

In Gear Lists » Please Help Newbie with JMT Gear List
August 14, 1:37pm

No fires beyond this point signs usually posted below 10K
You will find it harder to dip below 10K as you approach Whitney. Also: The "no fires beyond this point" signs are always posted lower than 10K. I have seen them as low as 9500 ft. The...

In GEAR » Ultra Bushbuddy and JMT...
August 14, 1:15pm

I'll try this on my next trip
I am doing a 5 day trip in Kings Canyon (California) later this month. I'll try this out. For that trip my GG VT should come in under 25 lbs which is a perfect weight for the pack. The trail...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail
August 04, 2:01pm

Update with lower weight...no beer :(
This past weekend I went on a 2 night trip out of Big Pine, CA up to Brainerd Lake. About 4-5 miles with a 3000 ft climb. I was carrying 24lbs total and the GG Vapor Trail handled fabulously!

In GEAR » Vapor Trail
August 03, 11:45am

Through the roof
Sarah, What a shock! I guess I should pay more attention to what I am eating! I just checked some Mountain House Pro-Pack meals and you are right. There is not one of them with less than 1000 mg...

In GEAR » Food?
July 02, 3:21pm

A perfect description of the symptoms
Matt, That is a perfect description of the symptoms I was feeling. My hips hurt. David - I am using a thermarest so I'll try your suggestion plus I'll keep the weight down to 25 lbs.

In GEAR » Vapor Trail
June 24, 4:16pm

Probably weight and weight dispersement
Sorry to say, I am not too thin... :) Also - I think the pack is fitted correctly. I actually had the guy at REI measure me for the pack and the hip belts do sit right centered on the hip bones...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail
June 22, 5:29pm

Vapor Trail
I recently purchased a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack and I noticed that the hip belt seems to slip down somewhat as I hiked. In my case, my base weight is about 16-17 lbs but I was hiking with a gr...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail
June 17, 6:09pm

Mountain House Pro-pack
Mountain House Pro-packs are easy to use and are easy to pack in a bear cannister. They come in a lot of varieties as well plus they taste pretty good.

In GEAR » Food?
June 17, 6:09pm

re:Klear Water
Glenn, I received 32 oz bottles of Klear Water directly from Xinix by emailing them at dti@san.rr.com They mailed me 3 32oz bottles and I mailed them a check for the amount + postage after I re...

In GEAR » Water Filter Failure
June 14, 9:45am

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm