BPL Community Profile

Brian Johns (bcutlerj) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale NorCal
About Me Brian Johns has not added a biography yet.
CitySan Francisco
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Johns

Showing 191 - 200 of 720 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...72

Forum » Thread

Great list.
Nice thing about day trips is it's not so tough to add in luxury items or weight. You're not carrying two or five days of food and/or water. I might suggest, though, however convenient, I w...

In Gear Lists » Day hiking list
January 01, 1:07pm

eBay is your friend
I have used eBay for the last five years or so to score several NIB/NOS made in Finland Sylva brand compasses, usually for about $5. Personally, I prefer the light, simple no frills starter/bases m...

In GEAR » Best baseplate compass
January 01, 12:57pm

Useless
This list is just about as useless as me sitting at my desk on NYE. Like a tree falling in the woods, who even cares if it happened. Maybe next year someone will put the Sawyer Mini or something ...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2013 Staff Picks
December 31, 12:11pm

Check out MLD
It's. It used but only $30 and it looks like a winner. I think it's 2 oz

In Gear Swap » WTB: a pillow
December 29, 12:26pm

Chains in Sierras
For most trips, just carry, and know how to use, chains; but you won't need. For Yosemite. You MUST have chains in the winter - as of 2008 this included 4WD/AWD vehicles. I digress, but one of ...

In GEAR » 2wd front wheel drive car in the sierra nevadas...
December 27, 1:11am

Excellent Six Moon Designs Deals
The Skyscape X is in stock, and the Skyscape Trekker (seriously great solo shelter) is a steal for $180. I am guessing the Scout model is only $100. No better intro to the world of UL packing than...

In Gear Deals » Excellent Six Moon Designs Deals
December 16, 11:16pm

Re: Re: Re: sieko
No. It is the original band. I mentioned above, they offer these in colors. They are all military / police specific (khaki, Navy, Black, etc.). They ripped off the NATO band, but did it a dis-s...

In GEAR » Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.
December 16, 10:18pm

Re: Will It Work OK?
The originals - as I understand it - are more likely to be an ounce or more lighter than the current version. Floor dimensions should be the same. Not sure about the side walls Bet the new is hi...

In GEAR » My Hexamid with SMD serenity net!
December 16, 9:52pm

Re: sieko
It meets Nick G's requirements of being light and durable. And it's surprisingly accurate. Also keeps time most days after being off for 12-24 hours. Waterproof to sport diving depths - ...

In GEAR » Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.
December 16, 9:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Close encounters of the most scary and odoriferous kind
Skunks are pretty bad at Point Reyes National Seashore up here. But ... I find them to be, for the most part, tolerable. It's obvious when there is one because entire camps move from site to ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Close encounters of the most scary and odoriferous kind
December 16, 8:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Brian Johns

Brian Johns has posted no reviews.