BPL Community Profile

Andrew F (andrew.f) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Andrew F has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear ListEmigrant group trip list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew F

Showing 191 - 200 of 731 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...74

Forum » Thread

Re: Metallury help needed for a MYOG Flash 30
I think the problem was heating up the aluminum then quenching it. Who knows what that did to the heat treatment and could have made it quite brittle. 6061 with a T6 heat treat should be able to be...

In Make Your Own Gear » Metallury help needed for a MYOG Flash 30
November 07, 2:01pm

Re: Montbell Permafrost
Jon, I'm a 41" chest and 34" waist and my size large Montbell stuff has some extra room in the chest. I think it'd fit you fine.

In GEAR » Best down parka features?
November 07, 11:23am

Re: from Roger Caffin
As far as I know nobody has posted on this forum the results of any real-world testing of DWR down. So anything you read is just speculation at this point. I don't disagree with Roger's the...

In GEAR » of water resistant down
November 07, 11:22am

Re: Heavyweight Ultralight Backpack
Nice work Andy. It's pretty cool you managed to get an aluminum frame into a pack and keep the whole thing under a pound. How have your other cuben packs held up long-term? Every cuben prod...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heavyweight Ultralight Backpack
November 06, 10:02pm

Re: Grid Fleeces, any major differences between them?
I have an R2 vest too and I wear it over my Cap4 hoody for winter trips. It's in the same league of all-time awesome layers, but I don't get to use it much because it has to be pretty cold ...

In GEAR » Grid Fleeces, any major differences between them?
November 06, 9:44pm

Re: Does a frame/suspension contribute to pack longevity?
I don't think framed packs have any durability advantage. What matters is the pack material and stitching design/quality. If you want the gold standard of pack durability, well, you already men...

In GEAR » Does a frame/suspension contribute to pack longevity?
November 06, 7:29pm

Re: Best down parka features?
I have a Mirage. It's really warm, especially for a 13 oz jacket. Standing around at 27F a few weekends ago I was totally warm and comfortable. I am sure it's good to 10-15 degrees lower th...

In GEAR » Best down parka features?
November 06, 7:24pm

I have a Piton jacket too. It's a nice piece, especially for climbing since the Wind Pro has a more durable face fabric. But with the added wind resistance and the heavier fabric, it's simp...

November 06, 7:18pm

Re: Shoulder Season in Yosemite
I was in the park again this last weekend to tick off November (went up to Merced Lake) and it was still beautiful... a little cold in the shade during the day but only 34F at night at 7000 feet. I...

In Post-Trip Reports » Shoulder Season in Yosemite
November 06, 6:59pm

Yes, Polartec products really are just that much better than the cheaper knock offs. Particularly Power Dry HE. Edit for a more helpful reply before Eric Chan lambasts me: That isn't to say ...

November 05, 10:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Andrew F

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

zpacks Company
I had the same experience as everyone else here. Joe got me a customized piece of gear on time and was very responsive to my questions and requests. Can't do much better than that.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 30, 10:01am

ULA Ohm
The Ohm is my go-to pack for trips that don't require a bear can. You can fit a Bearikade in it, but it's not very comfortable because it bulges into your back. I put a plastic frame sheet fro...

In Backpacks - Frameless
November 15, 2:15pm

Katabatic Gear Alsek
See thread with pictures and comments here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48962 I've used this quilt for about 20 nights no...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
November 15, 2:08pm