BPL Community Profile

Ben Crocker (alexdrewreed) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Kentucky
About Me Ben Crocker has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crocker

Showing 191 - 200 of 915 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...92

Forum » Thread

Help me take my clan into the Sierras
@Art I'm willing to spend a night or 2 in the foothills prior to going up. I think we can do a moderately high pass so long as we get low for sleeping. I really think she will be fine at 10k...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Where to "family backpack" in the Sierras
May 30, 8:56am

Canoe / Hike
The Buffalo River of Arkansas fits your description pretty well. Its a fun river with good fish, scenery, and camping. We did 3 days there last year and really had a great time. We did not do th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Canoe / Hike
May 30, 7:53am

Where to "family backpack" in the Sierras
I'm from Kentucky but will be in LA for my son's college orientation in mid-July. We decided to make it a family trip. I would like to spend about 3 days/nights in the Sierras. I'm p...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Where to "family backpack" in the Sierras
May 29, 10:47am

ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking
+1 on the rain skirt. I just got back from a trip of hard cool rain. Of the 4 in my group, I was the only one with a rain skirt. My shorts stayed pretty dry. Everyone else was wet from the wais...

In GEAR » ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking
May 23, 4:24pm

Getting back into backpacking -- going UL after years of carrying 50+ lb packs
I would agree with Nick's advice as a big and important first step. See what you can leave at home. It's free and it's often the easiest way to drop weight, especially for someone try...

In GEAR » Getting back into backpacking -- going UL after years of carrying 50+ lb packs
May 23, 10:02am

Help me go Solo!
My suggestion would be to look at the age and locations of all they guys posting on here. Most of them have been backpacking a long time. And they're still here to tell about it. Also note t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help me go Solo!
May 21, 9:37am

Ever use a Guayabera?
These shirts have been traditionally used in the tropics of the Americas. They are loose and often made of linen. Seems like one of these would make a great summer back packing shirt. Pretty coo...

In GEAR » very lightweight (<150) merino short sleeve shirt
May 20, 10:38am

Humid Backpacking
You can improve things a little, but humid backpacking is mostly miserable. When its humid, nights tend to stay warm and muggy. That why most of us in the SE US will only hike at high elevations in...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking in the tropics
May 19, 2:47pm

Coloado with the kid
I have taken my 2 older kids to Co for similar trips. Elbert is an easy walk. That may be just what you're looking for. The 14ers site is really helpful for planning, selecting the appropriate ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado 14ers in Late June
May 19, 10:33am

Zero
The pad will fit in but you won't have a lot of room for your other stuff. I would consider a system to strap it outside the pack.

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 2A: Selecting the Lightest, Most Functional Gear - Backpack, Shelter, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad
May 16, 10:55am

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crocker

Ben Crocker has posted no reviews.