BPL Community Profile

Gene . (Tracker) - BPL Guest

My Locale New England
About Me I have backpacked since 1968, across America twice 1986 & 1990; bicycled across America 4 times, rdtrip East Coast USA; built and sailed my own sailboats from New England to SA/CA/transited Panama Canal;canoed & sea kayaked New England/Florida/Bahamas; I grew up working as an organic vegetable farmer on a dairy farm in New England. Lived in Hawaii on both Oahu & Kauai.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gene .

Showing 191 - 200 of 203 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Ultralight fire starter
Jim, I carry a small chunk of balsa wood for when I absolutely cannot (rare)find any local firestarter. It is SUL and does'nt give off fumes when it burns. You can get some at any hobby supp...

In GEAR » Ultralight fire starter
January 12, 11:18am

Re: Re: Re: Kauai source for esbit?
Aloha Tim, I did'nt see your post until today, right now actually. I lived on Kauai for a few years; and only moved to the Mainland last year. I pretty much backpacked the place inside out, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » esbit in checked bags?
January 09, 2:30pm

Re: Primaloft Footwear - ...
Bill, Thanks for looking at this Primaloft question for me. I was going to try and compare the Hot Socs to down booties, but have yet to order a pair. Sounds like you're going full tilt down...

In Make Your Own Gear » PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this?
January 09, 2:19pm

Re: Fuel Bottle
Geeze Jason, I thought the bottle I sent you was your new favorite!

In GEAR » Good Alcohol Carrier?
January 09, 2:10pm

Breathable Hammock Underquilt?
I'm curious as to opinions concerning fabrics, specifically types such as Epic, Pertex, or other breathable fabrics for an underquilt? I envision a Primaloft insulation layer between one of...

In Make Your Own Gear » Breathable Hammock Underquilt?
January 09, 1:22pm

Re: PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this?
Bill, My ID 'Hot Socs' made from Primaloft don't seem that warm sitting at the computer in a 60'f room. The specs elude me right now, but are on ID's webpage. They weigh 4ozs fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » PrimaLoft®Footwear - What can we do with this?
January 09, 1:05pm

Re: Re: Re: minority view: powerdry rocks
Ok Mark I see your point about the moisture being held within the voids in the wool. I was thinking more of while one was hiking; the exertion should cause a certain amount of air flowing through t...

In GEAR » Going Wool? share your knowledge
November 29, 2:31pm

Re: Re: fire starter idea
Erin, Erik, and others here, before you run out and start buying flares I'd like to add this caveat. If this practice becomes prevelant there will be many more 'accidental' forest fires caused b...

In GEAR » Fire starter idea
November 29, 2:03pm

Re: minority view: powerdry rocks
What about wearing a lightweight wool shirt with a capilene silkweight over it? Would this not draw the moisture away from the wool baselayer; resulting in the wool keeping you warm, and the capile...

In GEAR » Going Wool? share your knowledge
November 29, 1:32pm

Re: Re: Ryan's Favorites: BushBuddy
What? No further info like web address, cost? DOH!

In GEAR » Ryan's Favorites: BushBuddy
November 29, 12:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Gene .

Gene . has posted no reviews.