BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 191 - 200 of 498 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...50

Forum » Thread

Loft vs CLO
This has been discussed before and the science covered by Richard in many other threads. Down can be compressed up to 2.5x and still maintain the majority of the added warmth. If inches of loft i...

In GEAR » Difference in warmth of 800 vs 900FP down FOR THE SAME BAG
January 17, 8:36am

Kookabay
I have a pad and pillow from him that I like and the quality is great, but the process of purchasing leaves a bit to be desired. I wanted another pad from him this past year but after multiple ema...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Kooka Bay
January 15, 10:47am

WPB bay shells
I have owned a number of bags with Gore-tex, Gore Dryloft, EPIC, eVENT, Endurance, and other in house versions. The bags were from FF, WM, TNF, SD, Marmot, and Moonstone. Except for a very cold...

In GEAR » Waterproof/Breathable Sleeping Bags
January 12, 10:46am

Neo Air Length
I would be another that would like a 70-72" pad in a wide width. I have a 60"x24" DAM from Bender and just swapped out my Exped UL 7 for a NeoAir All Season, but I find a wider pad ...

In GEAR » Neoair XLite and Z Lite Sol Now Available
January 09, 8:10am

All Season
Appearantly REI decided to carry the All Season as I purchased one at Christmas and they had a dozen or more in stock.

In GEAR » Thermarest NeoAir XTherm..R5.7..15oz?
January 08, 8:20pm

Only One
I have been going through this process this past year and have slowing been whittling down my gear to one of everything. If I didn’t go out in winter I would be there, but I really enjoy the few...

In Gear Lists » One item per type gear list
January 05, 9:43am

Another cyclist
It has been a while since I toured self supported but was CAT 2 through the eighties with a brief run at MTB racing. My longest tour was U.S. 1 from Port Angeles Wa. To San Diego Ca. I have alway...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So how many bicyclist read this forum?
January 03, 8:47am

Count me in!!
It may be a bit too easy to make no purchases in 2012 seeing how I have been going a bit crazy the past few years. I keep a close accounting of what has been purchased, and since my quest to ligh...

In Philosophy & Technique » No New Gear 2012
January 02, 7:03pm

PM'd
PM'd on #1 and or #8

In Gear Swap » 2012 PIF
January 01, 1:04pm

Re: Chaff Taxonomy
Rich or Poor…. Some where in between and again relative to whom? I make nearly twice as much as the state average but wouldn’t say that makes me rich. Dem or Rep…. Neither, but if I had t...

In Chaff » Chaff Taxonomy
December 29, 3:01pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am