BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 191 - 200 of 304 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Forum » Thread

JMT September List
I'll second the extra insulation. I took a Montbell inner down vest with me when I hiked the JMT last year in early September. I used it most mornings, especially from the Evolution Basin sou...

In Gear Lists » JMT September List
August 05, 7:34am

JMT record?
I don't think that records for trails such as the JMT really mean that much. There are too many other variables besides the individual's athletic prowess that can influence the time requir...

In GEAR » John Muir Trail Record???
July 31, 2:07pm

Rattlesnake avoidance
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. It is perfectly responsible to allow a dog off leash in ones own fenced yard. If there is the potential for...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
July 30, 7:30am

JMT 2009
I would add a light weight insulated vest or jacket for those cold mornings. I used pretty much what you list for clothes except that I had added a Montbell under vest (5 oz). I used it about hal...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2009
July 27, 5:16pm

Re "dumb"
Josh, I suspect that you don't have a dog or you don't live in rattlesnake country or both. A leashed dog that is curious about a rattlesnake is probably going to get bitten. Conditioning...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
July 26, 9:06am

The trail to Desolation Lake
There is a trail that cuts away from the Piute Creek Trail that goes directly to Desolation Lake. I don't recall whether it is marked (it has been at times) but it is the only trail leaving th...

In GEAR » Kings Canyon canister requirements
July 18, 4:42pm

Droppers
"Are they hard to dispense?" In a nutshell, Yes! But, you can open up the nozzle using a heated needle.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Droppers on Long Hikes?
July 18, 2:21pm

Droppers on Long Hikes?
If you are only taking one dropper bottle of each, yeah, you will likely run out. Probably the one that will go first will be the hand sanitizer. I used a one ounce HDPE Nalgene bottle for mine a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Droppers on Long Hikes?
July 18, 12:06pm

shin splints
I hiked the JMT last year and had to deal with a shin splint on my left leg from Donahue Pass on. It really hurt at first but gradually got better. By the time I reached Mono Creek I had pretty m...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long distance hiking with shin splints
July 18, 7:54am

Kings Canyon canister requirements
Are you actually going to the Humphrey Basis (eg Desolation Lake area) or are you just planning on hiking over Piute Pass and then staying on the trail down Piute Creek. The Humphrey Basin is a si...

In GEAR » Kings Canyon canister requirements
July 18, 7:41am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm