Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 191 - 200 of 314 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...32

Forum » Thread

huckleberries
Huckleberries, lingonberries, bllberries, cranberries and blueberries are all in the same genus, Vaccinium of the family Ericaceae. There are between 400 and 500 species in this genus; the idea of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » huckleberries
September 06, 1:45pm

You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
There is a book that was published by the Sierra Club in 1952 titled "Going Light With Backpack or Burro". A lot of the items and ideas discussed here are also outlined in this book. Th...

In GEAR » You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
August 21, 7:55am

Which sleeping bag should I take?
You would probably be OK with the Hydrogen as long as you don't mind sleeping in a lot of your clothes. It can easily get down to 25° at night in mid-September in the Sierra above 10,000'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Which sleeping bag should I take?
August 20, 8:40pm

What?
"My point being that average life span and infant mortality rates say nothing about the health of their diet." Did you really mean to say this? There is literature dating back to the ...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 19, 1:48pm

Magic bullet?
"I think a lot of it is due to boredom (gotta try new things/new fads), or books and websites which distort evidence to make a buck or cause a stir." I think it is that but also I thin...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 18, 8:12pm

It is really just a way of looking at things.
Personally, I think assigning arbitrary weight categories to a persons base load is a little silly. As noted before, big folks will carry more weight with the same gear as us smaller people. And,...

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 18, 7:41am

Ultra Bushbuddy and JMT...
Unless a stove has a shut off valve, it is considered an open fire. So, the Bush Buddy would be considered an open fire. Along the JMT, wood fires are not allowed above 10,000 to 10,500 ft depend...

In GEAR » Ultra Bushbuddy and JMT...
August 13, 8:09pm

Just use metric units.
Determine the weight in grams. One gram is very, very, close to 1 cc at room temperature. Then use either 1000 gm = 1000 cc = 1 liter; or, 1 qt = 0.90808 liters ≈ 908 cc. Or use, one avoirdupo...

In GEAR » Measuring pot volume with a scale
August 13, 12:58pm

URsack in the Grand Canyon
My experience has been the same as Greg's; protect your food. This is especially true in the more frequented camp areas. In my experience, Monument, Hermit Camp and Cottonwood are bad for lit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » URsack in the Grand Canyon
August 12, 12:26pm

Snakebites
Yes, but it turned out to be a "dry" bite: no venom. The "dryness" became obvious before I got out the tourniquet, suction cup and scalpel blade that were traditional treatment...

In Chaff » Snakebites
August 10, 4:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm