BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 191 - 200 of 400 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: cook/no cook weight difference
You might want to take extra salt, too. You might be losing lots of salt through sweat on backpacking trips, and the high-sodium FD dinners might be making up for that. Salty snacks, table salt,...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no cook weight difference
August 24, 10:05pm

Two inReach SE tracking settings removed
One of the inReach SE firmware updates silently removed two "Tracking" settings: Stationary Interval - The amount of time between each send of a track point while stationary. Statio...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
August 23, 1:42pm

Even more tick borne diseases
Powassan virus - "Powassan viruses can be transmitted within 15 minutes of a bite. The mortality rate from Powassan infection is 10-15 percent, and survivors ... frequently have longterm neuro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » more tick borne diseases
August 23, 12:33pm

Re: Thuraya SatSleeve?
"What about the Thuraya SatSleeve? It is an adapter you plug your smartphone into to turn it into a sat phone." The SatSleeve is a good idea, strangely implemented. The SatSleeve is...

In GEAR » best two way sat communicator?
August 23, 12:27am

Re: Water purification gel
Here's the full journal article. The abstract had this interesting definition of "highly reusable": "They were highly reusable as there was no significant difference in the...

In On the Web » Water purification gel
August 22, 11:35pm

iPhone 4, 4S sometimes hot & high battery drain
I have an iPhone 4, my wife a 4S. Both sometimes drain batteries at an enormous rate, for no consistent reason. Sometimes, we see high power drain and a hot phone, while using the Apple Map or G...

In GEAR » seeking help from geeky iPhone map users
August 22, 10:40pm

Re: REI number
I got a 6-digit number in 1972, lost it during a move, got a new 6-digit number around 1980 (7nnnnn). Found the old number several years later, but REI had purged it, so I couldn't use it. N...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » R.E.I. return policy
August 20, 11:22pm

Re: Re:best two way sat communicator?
"I'd love to switch but don't see DeLorme coming to their senses on pricing anytime soon. (I've tried to talk to them.) If they matched SPOT's 1 way pricing with their 2 way of...

In GEAR » best two way sat communicator?
August 20, 10:58pm

Re: Has anyone had a backpack that discoloured your clothes?
I had a backpack from a well-known grown-up cottage manufacturer that discolored my clothes. That pack had more serious problems, too, so it's gone. My new pack is white cuben fiber from HMG...

In GEAR » Has anyone had a backpack that discoloured your clothes?
August 19, 11:06pm

Mountain House "oven"
You could heat freezer-bag type meals by 100°F with the Mountain House "Mountain Oven": http://www.mountainhouse.com/product/20657.html No fires, just add water to heat a pouch. Not...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Meals when any fires are forbidden
August 18, 12:13am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.