BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 191 - 200 of 519 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...52

Forum » Thread

Rescue Insurance for Backpackers article posted
Rescue Insurance for Backpackers was posted a few days ago. @RogerDodger: I got no reply to my polite inquiry to the Riverside County Sheriff's office for more information on rescues and cos...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Does it cost to hit the SOS button??
January 10, 9:06pm

Article updated
This article was updated today to fix some problems. -- Rex

In Editor's Roundtable » Rescue Insurance for Backpackers
January 09, 11:46pm

Article posted
My article Rescue Insurance for Backpackers has been posted, with information on emergency flight insurance. -- Rex

In Other Activities » Emergency Flight Insurance?
January 09, 11:43pm

Treating Colorado River water
On raft trips down the Colorado in Grand Canyon, we are prepared to drink main river water if clear side creeks aren't available. Downstream of Glen Canyon Damn, if the river is muddy brown,...

In Post-Trip Reports » Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado
January 09, 11:17pm

Sleeping bag as quilt; pillows are tough
I'm a thrasher when I sleep - lots of movement, many different positions. Using a mummy bag as designed, and a thin foam pad, resulted in many nights of poor sleep in the backcountry. About ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question for fellow side sleepers
January 09, 11:01pm

Re: Directions? 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014
Take the East Dunne Ave exit off 101, and head East, a right turn if you are coming from 152. In about 2.8 miles, at the only thing that looks like a fork in the road, stay right on East Dunne A...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014
January 07, 10:32pm

Label with soft reset instructions
Just barely fits using a Brother P-touch labeler, Small text setting, and some abbreviation. -- Rex

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
January 07, 12:11am

Re: Re: Re: Re: SE Deals
I don't want one now, mostly because I don't want to turn on the meter. Buy now, turn on the meter later. You activate through https://explore.delorme.com when you are ready. Be sure ...

January 06, 11:24pm

MIL-STD-810F and IP67 claims
Quoting from Wikipedia: MIL-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-8...

January 05, 10:23pm

Re: Re: Re: SE v 2.4 = good!
Besides the firmware updates, does the hardware look to be pretty durable? I mean, will this survive a three-foot drop test? Or, would I need to carry it in a bag of bubble pack? ... How do you fee...

January 05, 6:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.