BPL Community Profile

John Haley (Quoddy) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New York/Vermont Border
About Me I retired in October 2006. Previously a meteorologist for twenty years with the U.S. Air Force, an advanced skydiving instructor for the R.A.F., EMT, Ambulance Dispatcher, and an operations manager for a trucking company.

Regular wilderness and trail hiker. Presently in the SUL gear range.
(Sub 3 for three seasons)

I can almost always be found in the company of my Welsh Springer Spaniel, "Quoddy"...that's where I got the trailname Quoddy.
CityPetersburgh
StateNew York
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/Quoddy
My PDF Gear ListQuoddy's Sub 3 Gear List for 3 Season's Plus

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Haley

Showing 191 - 200 of 592 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...60

Forum » Thread

Re: DuoMid off the Ground
I plan to have it partially, if not fully open, so won't necessarily need to have it raised unless there's a prolonged rain.

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid Pics (yellow)
January 22, 7:41am

Re: Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland
Great photos, Chris. I never had the opportunity to hike that area except in the summer. It looks as good in the winter as it did in the summer greenery.

In Editor's Roundtable » Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland
January 21, 3:57pm

Re: MLD Revelation
I have, and use, the Spinntex version of the Revelation whenever I'm out for up to four days during 3 season hikes... and love it. Just before the new range of MLD packs came out the Revelation...

In GEAR » Who knew about this?
January 19, 7:12am

Re: Love the DuoMid
JT... It hasn't arrived yet and I haven't checked lately to see when. Timewise, it has been 6 seeks now, but I have another item being worked on by Ron and he may be combining the orders.

In GEAR » MLD DuoMid Pics (yellow)
January 18, 3:19pm

Re: Myth Busted Winter Alcohol Stoves
Almost any alcohol stove will work at any temperature if the alcohol itself is warm. My question is: What was the temperature of the alcohol? Had it been in the house, or was it sitting outside for...

In GEAR » Myth Busted Winter Alcohol Stoves
January 16, 3:03pm

Re: Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
For those liking more of an espresso or Turkish/Greek coffee: Use a slightly higher mixture using darker roasted coffee grounds. Stir then boil over a gentle heat until about to overflow x three ti...

In Editor's Roundtable » Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee
January 14, 11:40am

Re: side entry bivy
Dennis... It's almost one of those situations that if you have doubts about jumping straight to a tarp, you may be better off not doing it until you're sure. My suggestion would be try a ta...

In GEAR » side entry bivy
January 13, 7:50am

Addition to pj's reply
I received this reply since posting pj's previous information: "FYI. the classic Cree (LED) ring is, in nearly all instances of use, truly a non-issue. for those "great white...

In GEAR » Lumens for NightTime Hiking?
January 11, 8:08am

Lumens for night hiking... pj's reply
Before making my initial post I wrote to "pj", who I always considered to be the expert on lighting and several other aspects of gear on BPL. Here is his reply, and I hope you find it as ...

January 11, 6:06am

Re: Re : Lumens for night hiking
Mike... I read that the textured reflector decreases the center spot illumination by 18%, but at the same time increases and also blends the flood capability. I figured for hiking that the flood ef...

January 10, 10:26am

All Reader Reviews by John Haley

Showing 1 - 10 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Warbonnet BlackBird
I've used several hammocks and always had the feeling, "if only it had". Then I bought a Warbonnet BlackBird. The hammock was designed by, and is hand built by, a long time hammocker and...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 04, 8:40am

Mountain Laurel Designs
Having dealt with Ron Bell for several years and after purchasing tarps, shelters, bivies, and packs... as well as many minor products, I consider Ron's service, help, and products as good as it g...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 21, 3:45pm

Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
This is a perfect jacket, but the parka hood made me drop my score from a 5(+) to a 4. At 7.5oz for a Large, it's the lightest jacket I own, by far. Packs up smaller than a softball. Perfect over...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
December 15, 2:40pm

Montbell U.L. 90 Sleeping Pad U.L. 90
I bought the 90 to use in conjunction with the MB pillow to make what amounts to a 3/4 mat. When I use it in shoulder seasons and into winter, I add a GG Nightlight Torso to the bottom end by punching...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 04, 12:28pm

Mountain Laurel Designs Revelation
I had the chance to begin using my very lightest gear recently. Loaded up this pack with all my gear and food for a slightly rainy weekend. With two 20oz bottles of water the total packweight was 9.5 ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 29, 1:02pm

GlobalStar SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker
I purchased a SPOT Personal Satellite Trackier unit from REI and activated it with GlobalStar for unlimited service on January 24. The product and service are almost totally useless for anyone who is ...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 28, 9:39am

5.11 gear Tactical nylon pants
I've had a chance to use the nylon canvas version of the 5.11 Tactical pants and have found them to be close to ideal. Slightly heavier than the Railrider's or REI counterpart, they are still ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
December 04, 4:40pm

Packafeather Featherfire
I've now had a chance to use the FeatherFire on several hikes and it continues to impress me. The adjustability of the flame is great and really allows for simmering after reaching a boil at the h...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 03, 7:32am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
Rather than write paragraphs concerning trying to get the actual product and color I'd ordered, let me just say that after three attempts to get the right item I'm still waiting. The only reas...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 31, 12:44pm

Titanium Goat Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
I waited until after I completed my thru hike of the Long Trail to post this review. I wanted to take them through the wringer that this trail provides and see how they faired…the answer was varied. S...

In Trekking Poles
September 14, 7:32am