BPL Community Profile

Robert Kelly (QiWiz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale UL gear @ QiWiz.net
About Me I dream of thru hikes but work and family get in the way. Am familiar with most OH and western PA trails; Isle Royale; a little of Rocky Mountain NP; AT from Springer to Hot Springs; some of Monongahela in WV. Have also been on PCT in Yosemite and Mt San Jacinto area in CA and Mt Jefferson area in OR; Bailey Range in Olympic; Wind River Crest in WY. Pack weight 8-12 pounds in all seasons. Happy Trails.
If you are interested in the lightest ti trowels, stoves, and saws, check out my website at www.QiWiz.net
CityCleveland Heights
StateOhio
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.QiWiz.net

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Robert Kelly

Showing 191 - 200 of 543 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...55

Forum » Thread

Shorter trip, lighter weight
My lightest base weights are on my short trips, largely because I can get a more clear idea of expected weather and temperatures, which in turn lets me fine tune gear choices to the least heavy opt...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The validity of going lightweight for shorter trips
May 04, 8:14am

Special Combo Deal Available Again
All details on Specials page of website. Save 10% on combo of the lightest buck saw, pouch, and trowel on the planet. Offer good till 5/19. You CAN cut it!

In Gear Deals » Could this be the ultimate UL backpacking saw?
May 04, 5:49am

If you don't use tram
you will begin with a big up. Depending on the season, water can be scarce, so check with rangers re this. I've not hiked without taking the tram up, but have done a very enjoyable loop beginni...

In Pre-Trip Planning » San Jacinto State Park
May 02, 1:10pm

Another option for inflating stuff with air you have not humidified with your lungs
is the Big Agnes pump sack. 1.6 oz and can do extra duty as stuff sack, pillow, and even water carrier in a pinch. Been very happy with it. Use it selectively on trail depending on conditions, but ...

In GEAR » Moisture filter for matresses?
May 01, 9:36am

Yes, maybe you can
Agree with Stephan, Chad, and Mike. Just used an unenhanced NeoAir to high 20s with JRB quilt. But do some backyard testing before you go into the backcountry.

In GEAR » Neoair with a quilt
April 30, 11:15am

Not sharp but thin
One of the key steps in making the trowels is to make sure they are not sharp, so as not to cut someone accidentally. However, they are thin enough to 'cut' through small roots and turf wit...

In Gear Deals » They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes
April 29, 4:11pm

Special offer ends next week . . .
Discounted price on either a Big Dig or Original titanium trowel when ordered at the same time as a FireFly stove. Special will be available until May 1st.

In Gear Deals » They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes
April 26, 11:17am

Winton Porter's Just Passing Through
Is a great read, especially if you have any connection to or experience hiking the AT.

In Chaff » Stuck in bed for a week, help me find a book!
April 26, 10:16am

It depends
On how many calories you want, the calorie density of the foods you pick, and the type of packaging your foods are in. I budget about 1.5 lbs of dry food per day and try make sure that's at lea...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food per day, how many liters?
April 25, 11:37am

Windscreens when wood burning?
It depends on how much wind and the stove design. Yes, it's less efficient, but is this important? You decide . . . I have not generally worried too much about a windscreen in wood burning mode...

In GEAR » Emberlit Wood stove vs everything else
April 24, 2:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Robert Kelly

Robert Kelly has posted no reviews.