Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Douglas Frick (Otter) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Wyoming
About Me Douglas Frick has not added a biography yet.
StateWY

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Douglas Frick

Showing 191 - 200 of 769 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...77

Forum » Thread

Re: Clothing suggestions
I'm not sure what temp range you expect, but for temps down to freezing I add a Montane Aero windshirt over my base-layer and swap the windshirt for a Patagonia Micropuff pull-over in camp. If ...

In GEAR » Clothing suggestions
March 05, 9:20am

Re: Evernew 0.9L Ti Pot vs Snow Peak Ti Bowl
>Other than the beer can pots, it seems to be the best value out there by far. I can't think of any reason to not use the Snow Peak Titanium Bowl as a cook pot as long as the bowl base ...

In GEAR » Evernew 0.9L Titanium Pot
March 04, 3:04pm

Re: Re: Re: The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian
>Let's hear it for the LuxuryLite. Yeah, that's some pack; it rides like a dream. I use mine when I'm carrying a lot of family or group gear, and I pack an extra cylinder in cas...

In GEAR » The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian
March 02, 8:11pm

Re: HTML newsletter, please!
>but you could give new subsribers to the newsletter the option to get the news letter in plain text or HTML. If you do HTML e-mail, please make it a choice. I would NOT choose HTML.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » HTML newsletter, please!
March 02, 7:59pm

Re: Fighting Infection in the Field
Good point. Epsom salt added to very hot water is also effective in fighting infection. Not a lightweight item to keep in a first aid kit, but easy enough to find in town.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fighting Infection in the Field
February 28, 10:19pm

Re: Re: klearwater/brett et al
Here is a new thread about mechanical as well as chemical water treatment.

In Multiple Use Gear » KlearWater as mouthwash & skin treatment
February 28, 9:09pm

URL problems
PJ wrote: Sorry 'bout the URLs. Hyperlinks no longer work for me after 2+ yrs of successful hyperlinking and posting to others to teach them how to mark up a HTML Anchor mark-up. The hyperli...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » URL problems
February 28, 4:48pm

Re: Re: Medical Ultralight
>The medical kit depends on many factors--in order of importance: One more factor: Are there kids along? They do seem to get into more trouble than adults, although usually of a less sev...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Medical Ultralight
February 28, 1:34pm

Re: Re: C.A.M.P.
>The adze seemed a bit small. It certainly is, but I'm not planning on taking this axe where I expect to do much chopping. Mostly it will be carried for self-arrest and self-belay, and ...

In GEAR » C.A.M.P.
February 28, 1:23pm

Re: Freezing Conditions
>I don’t consider carrying a Nalgene to be ideal and am looking for a lower weight alternative. The Nalgene Cantene (1 liter: 2.1 oz) is much lighter and has the same wide mouth. >...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW
February 28, 12:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Douglas Frick

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Petzl Zipka
I have the original 3-LED Zipka (1.9 oz with Lithium batteries). It is my regular headlamp (when there's little likelihood of hiking at night) and I always carry it with me on day hikes. It isn...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 07, 1:54pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
I grabbed a bunch of random non-Cliff bars at REI before a recent trip. A few of them were wretched, some just indifferent, and a few I thought would be worthwhile to remember for next time. And then ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 13, 1:03pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
The good points are: fast, fuel-efficient, easy, simple, and reliable boiling water. You can hold it in your hand while you boil water, if finding a place to set up a hot stove is a problem in your en...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 10:55am

BackpackingLight.com Premium Membership
I read all of the free articles, and after looking at the abstracts of the Premium articles, I immediately bought a membership. That was well worth it right there. I've also more than saved the price ...

In Books and Media
December 26, 10:01pm

Hiking Light Handbook by Karen Berger
This is a great intro to lightweight backpacking. She covers all of the major gear areas in an uncomplicated fashion, giving overviews of what, why and how to lighten up. The book includes strategies,...

In Books and Media
December 26, 9:56pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I refer to it as my "ugly hat," but it's the one I always grab when it's sunny. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy. I just tighten the headband a bit (easily and securely adjust...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 23, 9:16pm

Brunton Helios "Stormproof" lighter
I don't have a Brunton Helios lighter, but unfortunately there isn't a way to comment without giving a rating. I do, however, have six butane 'windproof' lighters/torches: a Brunton Firelight, a Solo ...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 23, 8:27pm

Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine
This is a thick book with a lot of useful information. I found it inspiring, with a fairly well-balanced idea of hiking and camping with light gear. I've bought copies for friends, with the simple adm...

In Books and Media
November 25, 2:17pm

Superfeet Performance Green
I have flat feet after wearing rubber slippers in Hawaii for 15 years. When I got back into hiking I found I could only pack for a mile or two before my feet started screaming. Superfeet solved that p...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
November 25, 1:47pm