BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 191 - 200 of 540 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...54

Forum » Thread

Rucksack
LL-Bean carries one just like the classics, but made of nylon, and with a thin foam back pad. I've seen it in person. It's very nicely made, has a good volume, nice straps, and medium/long...

In GEAR » Whatever happened to rucksacks?
October 14, 4:40pm

hammock
I've also tried a hammock. If it fits your sleeping style, I think they are almost ideal for the mid-atlantic trails. The positives: The hammock was even cooler in the summer than sleeping o...

In GEAR » best sleeping systems(tent) humid east
October 05, 6:04pm

Maryland
I like using a large tarp & no bivie in Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Southern PA. The mosquitos in the forest & meadow areas along the AT, in the state parks, and along the Potomac and...

In GEAR » best sleeping systems(tent) humid east
October 04, 6:13pm

shirts for hot humid areas
I hike where 85-95 degree temps and 85-95% humidity are the norm. I vastly prefer loose fitting, thin polyester T-shirts. Loose doesn't stick to you as much, creates a teeny tiny breeze when ...

In GEAR » 100% Cotton vs. 50/50 blend vs. Dry-Release vs. Wool blend
October 01, 6:17pm

Petzl Tikka Plus
I have the 4 led version of the Tikka Plus. High is "almost, but not quite" bright enough to see off-trail landmarks and blazes at night. Medium is great for shelter set-up and cooking....

In GEAR » Headlamp question
September 19, 11:14am

Ohm v Gorilla v Vapor Trail
The ULA Ohm & GG Gorilla both have a hoop frame, but less cushy straps & smaller hipbelts. Do those packs carry weight any better (or worse) than the Vapor Trail ?

In GEAR » LW Pack Recommendations
August 22, 6:52pm

LW Pack Recommendations
Which pack is the best for carrying a 20-23 pound load (+ pack weight = 22-25 lbs) mostly on the hips ? The GG Vapor Trail, GG Gorilla, ULA Circuit or OHM, MLD Exodus, Go-Lite Jam 2, REI Flash 50, ...

In GEAR » LW Pack Recommendations
August 22, 4:47pm

Z-lite vs Ridge Rest
I tried the Z-lite at REI, and it seemed quite a bit more comfy than the ridge rest (almost as good as my 1" Thermarest). How much durability difference is there between the Z-lite and Ridge R...

In GEAR » Need CCF Pad recomendations
August 16, 9:52am

Inexpensive pot needed
I'm looking for an inexpensive 1.1 pot with a "mug-like" profile (wide enough to fit an MSR fuel canister, but narrow enough to fit in a water bottle pocket - or balance on a small st...

In GEAR » Inexpensive pot needed
August 12, 8:09pm

Need CCF Pad recomendations
I'm looking for a CCF pad that's on the soft side (for CCF) but still durable. I'm a bit worried about the durability of the z-lite's hinges, and how fast the foam will permanen...

In GEAR » Need CCF Pad recomendations
August 11, 7:27pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm