Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 191 - 200 of 563 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...57

Forum » Thread

Headlamp recommendations
I use the Petzl Tikka+ (4 leds, 3AAA batts). Low works great for reading, Medium works great for setting up the tent (can see enough of the ground to get good placement), and walking throu...

In GEAR » Thru-Hike Flashlight or Headlamp
December 07, 6:14pm

Re: Mora and Opinel Advise
For gift purposes, I'd steer toward the Clipper / Craftline (same knife, 2009 vs 2010 version) over the #1 or #2 since it's handle & sheath aren't cheap feeling. The Craftsman knif...

In GEAR » Mora Knives
December 07, 6:05pm

Marmot Sleeping Bag
The Marmot 650 fill down bags are really warm (and well constructed) for a budget bag. They take up a couple of more inches of room in your pack, but only weigh a few ounces more - many times for ...

In GEAR » Best Value: cold weather
December 04, 6:36pm

Quilts
The quilt is warmer if all the weight of the down is on top. If you just unzip your sleeping bag, you'd have to be able to shake the down that is in the parts of the bag that are now lying on ...

In GEAR » Using a sleeping bag as a quilt? Warmer?
November 29, 7:15pm

Circuit
Is the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt any cushier on the VT than on the Circuit ? Are the shoulder strap and hip belt widths about the same between the 2 packs ? Is the backpanel pad...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail vs Circuit vs Mariposa Plus
November 28, 9:46am

Vapor Trail vs Circuit vs Mariposa Plus
I'm looking for the lightest pack capable of "comfortably" carrying 4 liters of water along with lightweight gear (Tarptent Cloudburst, 32 degree synthetic bag, full length Thermarest...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail vs Circuit vs Mariposa Plus
November 28, 7:28am

Dessert Pack
Will the Granite Gear Vapor Trail or similar packs from ULA (Circuit), or Gossamer Gear (Mariposa Plus) "comfortably" carry 4-6 Liters of water along with lightweight gear (ie: main gear ...

In GEAR » Grand Canyon Gear Questions
November 27, 7:29pm

Grand Canyon Gear Questions
I'm planning a mid-May trip from the North Rim, across the corridor (with some side canyon exploration), along Tanto plateau, and up hermits trail to the South Rim. I have 3 questions... ...

In GEAR » Grand Canyon Gear Questions
November 24, 6:22pm

Achohol usage
You might also want to budget a little to pour into a primer pan and to be used up by the stove before it blooms (blooms take longer in the cold). We had a cat can stove and penny stove out thi...

In GEAR » Newbie Question?
November 22, 7:05pm

Water
I typically carry a full 1/2 liter "Deer Park" water bottle, per 6 hours of hiking. If it's over 80 degrees, I carry 2. In most cases, I usually have a tiny bit left when I make camp....

In GEAR » Including the weight of water
November 22, 6:53pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm