Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 191 - 200 of 456 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...46

Forum » Thread

Wet Foot Box
It looks like your foot box of your sleeping bag will be touching the tent wall. That equals wet bag. I'm 5'-9" also and have ran into the same situation with my Lightheart Cuben Sol...

In GEAR » Deciding between BearPaw Cub Den 1.5, Zpacks Hexamid (I chose Cub Den, here are the pics and initial setup)
May 19, 8:43am

30% off Neo Air
And the rest of their Therm-a-rest pads. Arc Teryx 20 - 50% off selected items. Mammat 15-20% off selected items Patagonia 20-30% off base layers and insulation plus "For the first t...

In Gear Deals » Feathered Friends memorial day sale
May 19, 8:15am

Re: Western Mountaineering discounts
I'm in the same boat. I want to get the WM Antelpoe with 3 ounce overfill. I sleep extremely cold. I doubt I'll find that on sale ever. I'll have to get it from WM. There is a du...

In Gear Deals » Western Mountaineering discounts
May 09, 11:03am

Western Mountainers Bags
I see Neptune has the WM Kodiak for 20% off, but at 5'-9" and 155 lbs it's way to big for me. Does anyone know when or if WM has sales? I'd like to get the Antelope MF.

In Gear Deals » 20% off at neptune mountaineering
May 05, 9:15am

@Konrad
Does classic fleece mean it's warmer than ?????? I have no idea, but I like the weight.

In Gear Deals » polartec balaclavas $6-8
April 25, 3:07pm

I checkex them out
The Jackorack was true to its advertised weight at 3.7 oz. The new Jackorack does not have pit zips. The jacket I weighed was a medium and was true to its size.....a perfect fit for me. Very wel...

In GEAR » Feathered Friends Jackorack jacket and vest returns
April 23, 8:37am

Re: I'll Visit FF at lunch today
@Stephan....I agree 100%. Unfortunately I don't own one without the hood. I'll also see if the Jackorack has pit zips and check out the sizing.

April 22, 11:56am

I'll Visit FF at lunch today
I need to check out that Daybreak jacket. It sounds to good to believe. I wish it came with a hood. I brought my MB UL down inner parka to work with me today. I'll weigh it on their scale a...

April 22, 9:14am

Thanks....great timing
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of the RR pants. I too have a couple of their Eco-mesh shirts and absolutely love them. The one item stopping me from getting the pants is the e...

In GEAR » Railriders Bone Flats pants vs. BPL Thorofares-- first impressions
April 20, 9:45am

2011 PCT'ers - Deep snow here in the PNW
I just want to give a heads up warning about the large amount of snow we're getting up here this year. One of the passes you'll go hike thru will be Snoqualmie Pass at only elevation 3,022...

In GEAR » 2011 PCT'ers - Deep snow here in the PNW
April 15, 2:38pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am