BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 191 - 200 of 430 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...43

Forum » Thread

kelty redwing 2650 or 3100
Francis, Congratulations on having the time to travel. Like Ben I've been all over this world of ours. Over 20 years I've traveled thru 52 countries.....from Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Chin...

In GEAR » pack recommendation for world travel
February 26, 7:39pm

Great Gear List
Thanks David for leading me to his gear list..... http://www.andrewskurka.com/advice/gearlists.php

In GEAR » Circling Alaska in 176 Days
February 22, 8:58am

Circling Alaska in 176 Days
My hats off to Andrew Skurka for completing such an endeaver. I just finished reading the article of his journey in the March 2011 issue of National Geographic. This dude is a machine! He's ...

In GEAR » Circling Alaska in 176 Days
February 22, 8:38am

Passport?
Ryan, Great read!!!! I have a stupid question..... Did you need your Passport to cross into Canada? I hear that's how you get out of there. I'm aware of the "Application for E...

In Editor's Roundtable » Hiking Through Hyperbole: A Walk in the Clouds
February 15, 5:28pm

Correct answer is 'I don't really now'
I use to own the REI Shukson eVent jacket. After about 4 hours of non stop hard rain, here in the PNW, the jacket would start to wet out and start the process of wetting my midlayer. I couldn'...

In GEAR » Do porous waterproofs like event / neo-air still lose most breathability when surface wets out?
February 11, 8:54am

Nicely Done
I'm continually amazed at the talent amoungst this group. Those gloves look great. I wish I was in the market for a pair.

In Gear Deals » TSS Down Mitts Remixed
February 09, 2:12pm

Kooka Bay Pads
I need to put in a +1 for Bender. About 4 months ago I had him make me an inflatable tube that I can place under my knees to reduce my back pains while sleeping. I sent him a sketch and I kid you...

In GEAR » Kooka Bay
February 07, 9:53am

Just Bring it Back to REI
Curtis, If you bought the Shuksan at REI just take it back for a new one instead of messing with zipper replacement. I just returned my Skuksan after 2 seasons and the start of its 3rd season. ...

In GEAR » REI Shuksan "versions"?
February 07, 9:49am

Feather Friends Hyperion Vest
This vest is warmer than those above but at 7.3 oz. The vest has 3.1 oz's of 850 fill. Cost is $175.

In GEAR » What is the warmest, lightest down vest for the $.
February 04, 8:28am

Burn 20% more calories Hiking with Poles....no way?!
Sorry if this subject has been touched.... "Use Nordic poles while you walk, and *you'll burn 20 percent more calories*, says research from The Cooper Institute in Dallas." I ju...

In GEAR » Burn 20% more calories Hiking with Poles....no way?!
February 03, 8:31am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am