BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 191 - 200 of 449 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...45

Forum » Thread

I'll Visit FF at lunch today
I need to check out that Daybreak jacket. It sounds to good to believe. I wish it came with a hood. I brought my MB UL down inner parka to work with me today. I'll weigh it on their scale a...

In GEAR » Feathered Friends Jackorack jacket and vest returns
April 22, 9:14am

Thanks....great timing
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of the RR pants. I too have a couple of their Eco-mesh shirts and absolutely love them. The one item stopping me from getting the pants is the e...

In GEAR » Railriders Bone Flats pants vs. BPL Thorofares-- first impressions
April 20, 9:45am

2011 PCT'ers - Deep snow here in the PNW
I just want to give a heads up warning about the large amount of snow we're getting up here this year. One of the passes you'll go hike thru will be Snoqualmie Pass at only elevation 3,022...

In GEAR » 2011 PCT'ers - Deep snow here in the PNW
April 15, 2:38pm

Correct
Correct....Dirty Girls are not Waterproof. I just read that on their website. I thought I'd give them a try, but the site clearly states they have none that are waterproof.

In GEAR » gaiters: MLD lightest/best?
April 15, 12:28pm

Does this Happen to you Shortie Gaiter Users?
Does this happen to you shortie gaiter users??? I have a pair of MLD short gaiters (I'm sure the same will happen with all brands) and they slide down to my ankles leaving a lump of excess fab...

In GEAR » gaiters: MLD lightest/best?
April 15, 9:35am

I even ordered a Womens
Might as well get on e for my sister too. They'll be great for fall and spring time garden work.

In Gear Deals » Lands End 600fill Down Vest $13.00 !!!
April 13, 9:04am

Mind Blowing
Congratulations.....you're going to have an epic trip. Her smile says it all. I agree with Nick. How can we help contribute to their trip?

In Editor's Roundtable » Eleven Years Old on the PCT
April 13, 8:32am

Ordered
Just picked up a handful for my PCT hike this summer.......

In Gear Deals » $1.50 Ti stakes at myDIYgear.com
April 12, 1:47pm

Fantastic
I finally picked myself up a Thermawrap. It'll be a nice addition in my pack for this summer and fall. I really liked that rust color. It's good to be visable. THANKS

In Gear Deals » 20% off Montbell Gear 7 days only
April 05, 10:50am

I'll have to find my MSR and.....
put it on PIF. I see it now and then when I'm digging through my stuff. I didn't realize people wanted it.

In Gear Swap » MSR Whisperlite Stove with 22oz Bottle
March 29, 4:23pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am