BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 191 - 200 of 446 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...45

Forum » Thread

Correct
Correct....Dirty Girls are not Waterproof. I just read that on their website. I thought I'd give them a try, but the site clearly states they have none that are waterproof.

In GEAR » gaiters: MLD lightest/best?
April 15, 12:28pm

Does this Happen to you Shortie Gaiter Users?
Does this happen to you shortie gaiter users??? I have a pair of MLD short gaiters (I'm sure the same will happen with all brands) and they slide down to my ankles leaving a lump of excess fab...

In GEAR » gaiters: MLD lightest/best?
April 15, 9:35am

I even ordered a Womens
Might as well get on e for my sister too. They'll be great for fall and spring time garden work.

In Gear Deals » Lands End 600fill Down Vest $13.00 !!!
April 13, 9:04am

Mind Blowing
Congratulations.....you're going to have an epic trip. Her smile says it all. I agree with Nick. How can we help contribute to their trip?

In Editor's Roundtable » Eleven Years Old on the PCT
April 13, 8:32am

Ordered
Just picked up a handful for my PCT hike this summer.......

In Gear Deals » $1.50 Ti stakes at myDIYgear.com
April 12, 1:47pm

Fantastic
I finally picked myself up a Thermawrap. It'll be a nice addition in my pack for this summer and fall. I really liked that rust color. It's good to be visable. THANKS

In Gear Deals » 20% off Montbell Gear 7 days only
April 05, 10:50am

I'll have to find my MSR and.....
put it on PIF. I see it now and then when I'm digging through my stuff. I didn't realize people wanted it.

In Gear Swap » MSR Whisperlite Stove with 22oz Bottle
March 29, 4:23pm

Writing Classes - why would I need those?
I knew I should've taken a writing class in College...... lots of stories but poor at putting them down on paper.... Will we be able to read the top three?

In Gear Deals » Contest & Sponsored Giveaway!
March 29, 3:27pm

Thanks Brian
I do use a vapor barrier when I'm in colder temps. When I'm snow caving I'll also be in my bivy. I currently have a +20 F Feathered Friends bag that I really like. The feathers l...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Looking for New Cold Weather Down Bag
March 24, 11:00am

Dimensions not mentioned on Rab site
The Rab site doesn't mention the dimensions of the bag. It does state what Nicholas has mentioned....32F range.

In Gear Deals » Rab Sleeping Bag on SAC
March 23, 12:21pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am