Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 191 - 200 of 3087 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...309

Forum » Thread

Re: Food
In addition to others' thoughts (eat edible food), I try to transition slowly to trail food. My first day looks like pretty normal food, in part because I won't carry it very far. Like a de...

In GEAR » Food
March 25, 6:56pm

Re: Re Grand Canyon Rim-2Rim Day Hike
2). If you stay low, maybe with curtains or a few boxes around you, no problem. 3). There is an EXCELLENT market / outfitter on the South Rim at the Market Plaza. 4 kinds of over-shoe ice creep...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim Day Hike Suggestions
March 25, 6:35pm

XSUL Grand Canyon Rim-2Rim Techniques
1 gram: a U.S. $20 bill, with an engraving of Andrew Jackson on it. At Phantom Ranch, this can be converted into 3 lemonades, 2 power bars, a postcard and a stamp. Giving you 2 liters of fluids...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim Day Hike Suggestions
March 25, 6:28pm

Renting
Having been in the business of renting backpacking gear, I have a few ideas. High-end hard goods are the only thing people tried to steal / not return / claim were lost. We'd collect dri...

In Gear Swap » For Rent: 12" Bearikade
March 24, 9:28pm

Re: Quality straw hat?
My coworkers in LowCal - geologists and engineers working at toxic waste sites in God-forsaken locations - have adopted the large straw hats worn by gardeners. They are pretty large, so I'd ...

In GEAR » Quality straw hat?
March 21, 12:13am

Black bear poop has berries and fur. Brown bear poop has berries, fur, and bear bells in it.
Don't you hate it when they find your Sat phone in a big pile of Spinosaurus poop? They worry about every trip after that happens just once.

In GEAR » Spot Satellite GPS Messenger
March 18, 5:27pm

Re: Spot Satellite GPS Messenger
>"I just told my wife that if she didn't get a message one night to look for one the next night " Or as I put it, Good news ("OK") is good news. No news is just no n...

In GEAR » Spot Satellite GPS Messenger
March 18, 5:25pm

Re: Alaska Packrafting When and Where?
Sorry, I haven't explored the Talkeetna Mountians yet. If you're looking for something really studly, here's Manfred & Sons' trip report from last summer. I hiked in the fir...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Alaska Packrafting When and Where?
March 16, 10:52pm

Re: Vic Parers
Jimmer wrote much of what I was going to say - a Little Vicky paring knife is awesome - light, cheap, a great fillet knife for trout, fine for smaller (10-pound) salmon, dominates with cheese and ...

In GEAR » Lightest knife to baton small pieces of wood?
March 16, 8:15pm

Back on topic
If you cut 1" to 2" stuff in small sections (3-5" long), you can baton them much like you make shingles with a froe. Stand the wood upright, position the blade, and give it a sharp ...

In GEAR » Lightest knife to baton small pieces of wood?
March 16, 6:49pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.