BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 191 - 200 of 2592 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...260

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thunder: How close is too close?
>"Lightning normally strikes the tallest object in an area, although there is a lot of slop in that. " Thankfully, xkcd did a little research to quantify that "highest object a...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thunder: How close is too close?
August 08, 11:17pm

Shoulder patch thoughts.
For a cheap option, just stop by any optometrist's office and ask for a free glasses glass. For a SUL option, I'd cut a corner off a tyvek envelope (USPS and Fedex give them away) or cut...

In GEAR » sweat & sunglasses management
August 08, 3:06pm

Re: slight hijack (but not really...)
Jennifer, I found that jar-style Gatorade powder container. 56 grams with screw-top lid. Holds 720 ml of water. HDPE so it is good below -40F and well above boiling. For a totally SUL mug ...

In GEAR » Time to panic
August 08, 12:38am

I use my shirt.
My hiking shirt has large cargo, chest pockets. I put my Chrome Dome handle in the pocket. And the shirt has epaulets on the shoulders. I button that over the middle of the umbrella shaft. Betw...

In GEAR » Attaching umbrella to a pack
August 07, 10:54pm

Re: Is this lightweight?
Sleeping with multiple people on that would be like trying to make love on a water bed (says the refuge from 70's).

In Hammocks » Is this lightweight?
August 06, 11:58pm

Re: sweat & sunglasses management
I pluck my eyebrows in a reverse-Spock style to direct the rivulets of sweat to the sides of my face. Seriously, though, on the storage issue - small pockets on your pack straps are VERY conveni...

In GEAR » sweat & sunglasses management
August 06, 11:06pm

Re: Re: Trekking poles - help from Gear demigods or other experts
>"You could try injecting some low viscosity epoxy" +1 And, if you haven't done that before, you start with a clear epoxy (West Systems, System Three, etc) and add fine sawdu...

In GEAR » Trekking poles - help from Gear demigods or other experts
August 06, 11:00pm

PET in UV
Jerry, Yes, there are studies finding that water can be disinfected by spending 6 hours in European sun (less in the tropicals and much less when the water is warmer) in a PET bottles up to 2 li...

In GEAR » Time to panic
August 05, 6:11pm

Re: Re: sticking to data
Ian, I think you and I must be missing the "if the gubermint says it's okay, it must be bad" gene. It's a great time saver - it would let me jump to conclusions and skip those fou...

In GEAR » Time to panic
August 05, 11:57am

Re: slight hijack (but not really...)
Jennifer, PET bottles would fine (bottle survival and toxic exposure) with warm drinks. But if you might pour boiling water into the bottle (to save time, to dilute hot water with colder water ...

In GEAR » Time to panic
August 05, 10:52am

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.