BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 191 - 200 of 2527 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...253

Forum » Thread

Re: exhaust
Yes, be careful about breathing exhaust. Was that incident quite a few years ago? Modern cars with catalytic converters shouldn't put out much CO once the catalytic converter is up to tempera...

In Gear Lists » super compact bag car camping list, TSA approved
May 13, 11:46am

Re: Re: (road-tripping) to Utah
"Taking our van" That makes it easy. Driving the moving van to Alaska, I intentionally put the sofa on top on the whole pile. We'd trade off who slept on the sofa and who drove. Di...

May 13, 9:29am

Re: A/C
Delmar, a 1966 Ford might have a problem. With only an engine-driven fan, but more load on the engine, maybe idling with A/C could overheat an engine. Modern cars all have electric fans on the radi...

May 13, 2:01am

Re: Re: Re: Clothing for desert hiking
>"Doesn't Ray Jardine use aluminized umbrella for desert?" No, that's to keep the government from scanning one's brainwaves.

In GEAR » Clothing for desert hiking
May 12, 8:33pm

Re: Car Keys?
I'm less concerned about someone finding a key hidden on my car than that I might drop it along the trail (last did that in Hawaii a year ago, and had to do a mile roundtrip while the family wa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Car Keys?
May 12, 5:11pm

(road-tripping) to Utah
Nathan - You're just fine in those highway rest areas. That's what they're there for - to avoid drivers falling asleep at the wheel. Yeah, as the other David says, most states prohibi...

May 12, 3:48pm

Re: Clothing for desert hiking
For day hikes, I go for a cotton, long-sleeve, collared dress shirt - typically one I have retired from office wear. Or $4 at Goodwill. It keeps the sun off and you know how "Cotton doesn...

In GEAR » Clothing for desert hiking
May 12, 3:24pm

Spark energy
Stuart's very helpful graph (at least it is to me) suggests that as air-fuel ratios get richer at elevation, that could be the failing of piezo sparkers. If at first you don't succeed, try...

In GEAR » Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
May 11, 11:45pm

Re: When is a Mini Bic almost empty?
11 grams when full, if I recall. Of course, what you really want to know is how much when empty.

In GEAR » When is a Mini Bic almost empty?
May 10, 11:29pm

Re: Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
For me, the important part of the backup isn't WHAT but WHERE. Namely, somewhere else, not in my cooking set-up. Typically, I've got two mini-Bics. One with my cook kit. The other with ...

In GEAR » Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
May 10, 11:28pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.