Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 191 - 200 of 2855 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...286

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: how cold can you use a liquid feed canister stove?
BTU/pound of fuel is pretty constant for propane, butane, and white gas (with a slight advantage, 5%-ish, to the lighter compounds). 400-gram butane canister: about $7-8 220-gram butane caniste...

In GEAR » how cold can you use a liquid feed canister stove?
December 18, 12:37am

Re: Re: Naughty list....
Establishing new campfire locations. Leaving moose gut piles or fish remains near the trail in grizzly country. Throwing rocks off a high point with no awareness or consideration of trails, h...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Naughty list....
December 17, 2:04pm

Re: Everclear Additions
>"Everclear........"Moon Shine", Ethyl Alcohol 95% (by Volume) 190 Proof" The maximum allowable proof varies with state law. 190 proof works as stove fuel (and I worry le...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Adult beverages for Winter Camping
December 17, 1:57pm

Re: bottle in bag
Tipi: I'll grant that water and down don't mix well. OTEPOH (on the ever-present other hand): If your bottle and technique are solid enough. . . . I certainly have gone to bed and had m...

In GEAR » Bottle container for hot liquid
December 16, 7:59pm

Re: Bottle container for hot liquid
HDPE (high-density Polyethylene) plastic is good to above boiling and below -40. I really like it for lots of things because it is compatible with water, alcohol, and petro-fuels. Buying a bot...

In GEAR » Bottle container for hot liquid
December 16, 5:29pm

Re: Re: pika musk
>"Technically, they are not exactly rodents." Buck-toothed vegetarian mammals are often grouped together as rodents by non-scientists. But, yes, hares and rabbits are one family of...

In Chaff » hatchet vs large survival knife?
December 13, 7:19pm

Sourcing those big popcorn tins
Regarding Valerie's and Robert's success with large cookie/popcorn tins: Tis the Season! Most offices will be getting humongous tins of popcorn, pretzels, etc, from their vendors in t...

In GEAR » How do you store your food?
December 13, 4:18pm

Re: How do you store your food?
Around black bears - I sleep with it. Around grizzlies - I sleep far from it. For rodents, I bring it in my tent (not tarp) or hang it. For all species, avoiding especially smelly foods he...

In GEAR » How do you store your food?
December 13, 3:03pm

Re: Recommendations for leather gloves for Southwest bushwacking
Not especially light, but tough and cheap: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/laurentide-double-palm-gloves-white-deerskin-for-men~p~2695p/?filterString=s~deerskin%2F&colorFamily=01 Deerski...

In GEAR » Recommendations for leather gloves for Southwest bushwacking
December 07, 11:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Hiking efficiency and eating+drinking
>"Now if we could just learn to pee while moving like pro cyclists…." In Alaska, we all know some Iditarod mushers. They expect their dog to poop on the run. They are very proud...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking efficiency and eating+drinking
December 07, 11:38pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.