BPL Community Profile

David Drake (DavidDrake) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale North Idaho
About Me I manage the Fabrication Labs for a university architecture program, and teach design courses.
CityMoscow
StateIdaho
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://ddrake.net
My PDF Gear List30F Bag/Quilt Comparisons

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Drake

Showing 191 - 200 of 617 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...62

Forum » Thread

Finished quilt for my 11 year old
Finished this project Friday, ready for a short trip next weekend. 1 yard 5 oz/sy Climashield Apex (Thru-hiker) 1 yard black 1.1 ripstop w/ DWR (DIY Gear Supply) 1 yard light blue 1.1 calendar...

In Make Your Own Gear » Finished quilt for my 11 year old
April 22, 12:34pm

Question for Roger
Roger, would you say the primary purpose of the double fabric wall in winter is structure or insulation? Are both about equal? If insulation, why is a double wall better than an equivalent weight...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 2: Details and Commercial Models
April 22, 10:00am

Re: $/oz
Sure, MB--thought about that after I posted. Fortunately (thanks to advice from this site) almost nothing I've bought was to replace something already pretty light, eg, my 19 oz 40* quilt does...

In Gear Lists » Price per piound
April 21, 10:22pm

$/oz--Hmm...
Over the last 4-5 years, I've replaced everything I used to hike with (apart from a couple Platy bladders). I'm pretty careful about buying gear, and try to make a fair amount of stuff, so...

In Gear Lists » Price per piound
April 21, 9:31pm

Re: Taping Sprained Ankle: How much tape would you bring?
Thanks for the heads-up, Mary. I carry a small roll of Coban (sounds similar to the vet wrap) and I just checked it--not totally fused, but getting there. So replaced with a new roll. With the c...

In GEAR » Taping Sprained Ankle: How much tape would you bring?
April 21, 8:50pm

Re: Trail runners - a PT perspective
Hi Jennifer, What you say makes sense, but I'm curious: how would wearing typical hiking boots improve things, in the case of a previous sprain? The conventional wisdom around here seems to b...

In GEAR » Trail runners with 40+ lb pack?
April 21, 5:22pm

Re: Heavy?
With the quilts, I think the "heavy" claim is overstated. Similar offerings from others only beat the Golite 3 season by 2-3 oz. (and offer higher build quality, no doubt, but that'...

In Gear Deals » Crazy Golite Sale
April 21, 5:08pm

Re: USA Supermarket resupply; what do you buy?
Never done a thru-hike, but I buy almost all my backpacking food from supermarkets, with the exception of a few tasty dehydrated chilis and soups my local food co-op has in bulk. Haven't bough...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » USA Supermarket resupply; what do you buy?
April 21, 1:19pm

Re: great
Cheap sil: DIY Gear Supply (diygearsupply.com) has 2nds for $5.50/yard. Nice wide yards too (62"+), and the flaws vs. 1st are barely noticeable. Great service, fast shipping. Also has some...

In Make Your Own Gear » where to start?
April 21, 12:34pm

Re: where to start?
I'll second Nate Powell's suggestion to start w/ stuff sacks, just to get familiar with machine sewing and the behavior of fabrics used for MYOG projects. My first big project was a shap...

In Make Your Own Gear » where to start?
April 21, 12:18pm

All Reader Reviews by David Drake

David Drake has posted no reviews.