BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 191 - 200 of 3019 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...302

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: microspikes, crampons, snow shoes, oh my!
"...is that if you have a pass to go over, those skis aren't going to be helpful and another thing to lug over the pass." ?? Skiing down is muchmorebetter than walking. Depen...

In GEAR » microspikes, crampons, snow shoes, oh my!
May 06, 12:26pm

Re: Not made in the US
You have to give Ron Moak respect for honesty and saying publically what many/most will not. I think it's safe to assume one could insert "affordable" or "competitive" betw...

In GEAR » SMD fusion 65
May 06, 12:24pm

Re: paradox
Will do Luke. Ian, the lighter the xpac the noiser. Weather below freezing and the fabric being new exacerbates the noise a lot.

In GEAR » Paradox Unaweep
May 06, 10:08am

Re: RE: thanks and a question
If you want to car camp, drive up and stay at Lava Point. The views from the rim are ridiculous. Ditto for Strawberry Point up near Navajo Lake. If you want an easy overnight, you could do an ou...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Utah: Best backpacking books?
May 06, 6:56am

Re: Options?
A 24 inch frame is the shortest available, and still works for me with 40 pound loads. You could also ask for a shorter bag, or roll the roll top down most of the time. I don't know if Seek O...

May 06, 6:47am

Re: Slimming
I pay the guy downstairs to pose in all my article photos.

May 05, 10:34pm

Paradox Unaweep
Disclaimer: I got this pack for free. Circumference is 36" throughout. Height is 38" along the back unrolled. This bag is 100% VX-42, and 22 ounces. Pack is 44 ounces overal...

May 05, 9:34pm

Re: Utah: Best backpacking books?
The Allen books are works of art. It takes lots of miles following his routes to appreciate the work put in. By comparison, Kelsey is a hack. He hikes a ton and has an enormous range of experien...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Utah: Best backpacking books?
May 05, 8:42pm

Re: microspikes, crampons, snow shoes, oh my!
An axe and steel 10 point crampons for sure, and if there's a lot of snow climbing probably heavier footwear which provide said crampons with more support. If the route has minimal dry trail, ...

In GEAR » microspikes, crampons, snow shoes, oh my!
May 05, 8:34pm

Re: Thanks!
"You should landscape in Kansas in the summer. Swing a pick when it's 105 and the humidity is 80%!!!" Did that all through high school every summer in southern Ohio. One reason I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon down to the river
May 05, 11:41am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am