Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 191 - 200 of 4271 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...428

Forum » Thread

North Easterners, please report on your frigid winter camping
Those of you "lucky" enough to live in the northeastern US are having a truly frigid winter. MOST EXCELLENT conditions for winter camping. I hope you haven't wasted this opportunity t...

In Winter Hiking » North Easterners, please report on your frigid winter camping
February 20, 12:56pm

Shell pants & insulating pants
I'll bet the GoLite pants would keep you warm while trekking at 0 F. with just a pair of 200 weight Polartec fleece insulating pants under them, and no base layer longies.

In GEAR » Any experience with Golite Crestone Pants
February 20, 12:50pm

MSR Ground Hog improvements
Ye olde Ground Hog stake of yore has changed. To wit: 1.The 3 "vanes" on the stakes are now curved for better retention in "iffy" ground. 2. There is now a shorter versio...

In GEAR » Yet another stake (not steak) thread
February 20, 12:46pm

MARMOT - fer sure
I am a big skeptic of any MH down garments or bags. I once bought a MH "Phantom 32" bag, took it home and was so disappointed with the lack of loft that I returned it to REI unused. I...

In GEAR » mountain hardware phantom 0 or marmot lithium?
February 20, 12:27pm

A much-needed addition
As efficient as the Bushbuddy is at combustion it is woefully inadequate at preserving all that heat. Your windscreen goes a long way to correcting that problem, Good work. Maybe the manufactur...

In GEAR » Bushbuddy windscreen
February 18, 2:10pm

"Wedge" tents - Bah! Humbug!
A "wedge" design (2 hooped X-ing poles) is about THE worst design I've ever owned. I had the 1st wedge tent in 1977, a Jansport. Open the door and in comes the rain or snow. No ves...

In GEAR » Single wall 4 season shelter
February 17, 9:55pm

Kinda, sorta
FOOD-> big plastic storage box SMALL GEAR-> big plastic storage box PACKS-> on wall rack SLEEPING BAGS-> One under my bed, the rest in big cloth storage bags BOOTS-> on t...

In GEAR » How do you organize your gear?
February 15, 9:34pm

"military" insulated suit
About 14 years ago I bought an insulated jacket and pants from Brigade Quartermaster for $30. for each piece. It is insulated with DuPont Thermolite Micro continuous filament polyester insulati...

In GEAR » Patagonia Nano Puff pants
February 15, 9:28pm

"GROWN" fabric & the future for backpacking
Just read an article in Popular Science today about a fashion designer who has used biologically GROWN fabric that is actually tougher (and lighter) than leather. If draped over a form while still ...

In GEAR » "GROWN" fabric & the future for backpacking
February 15, 9:16pm

Please elucidate
Roger, In the case of the MSR Dragonfly stove (in Coleman white petrol mode only) does the stove valve regulate vaporized white petrol or liquid - after the stove is at full chat? You seem to be...

In GEAR » MSR Whisperlite Universal flame control question (Roger Caffin please read)
February 13, 1:03am

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 30 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Trail designs SideWinder
The Trail Designs Sidewinder is an "alternative" fuel stove that is a 3 fuel stove. I.e. it can burn alcohol, ESBIT tablets or wood. What's more it is highly efficient at all of these...

In Cookware - Other
June 18, 1:41am

Trail Designs SideWinder for AGG 2qt pot
My 3 cup Open Country pot is the perfect size for solo camping. It fits in the Sidewinder ti stove and using ESBIT with a modified Gram Cracker tablet holder (BGET) IMHO this is the perfect size sto...

In Stoves - Other
June 08, 2:06am

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am