Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 191 - 200 of 414 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...42

Forum » Thread

Tent designs: Photon & Scarp
The Photon inner tent is 220cms long, the Scarp's is 218cms long. There's no significant difference. I've been using the Scarp 1 in the Scottish Highlands most of this year and I'...

In GEAR » New Tarptent ;this is the Moment !!!
July 18, 4:26pm

Full size DSLR on the trail
I use an old CCS case with the 450D - CCS made some of the best camera bags in my opinion but ceased doing so a few years ago. I have tried a Lowe TLZ1, which would be my second choice. The pict...

In GEAR » Full size DSLR on the trail
July 15, 11:17am

Jack, I haven't found DSLRs to be very fragile! I treat them just as I did film SLRs and haven't damaged one yet. John, I carry my DSLR in a padded pouch on a strap slung across my chest...

July 14, 5:58pm

I carry a Canon 450D on every trip, long or short. & I've carried an SLR (sometimes two) on every trip for the last 27 years. The only change is how many lenses I carry - one when weight is...

July 14, 3:18pm

Lightest water treatment/filtration
Depends where you are with regard to the necessity of water treatment. I've never treated water in the Scottish Highlands and I don't know anyone who does. It's not primarily to do w...

In GEAR » Lightest water treatment/filtration
July 09, 9:19am

Health care systems
DW, I've never lived in or near London and I do know that health care does vary across NHS Boards. I would not be impressed with the NHS if I'd had your terrible experience. But mine is com...

In Chaff » Medical praise stories
July 09, 6:11am

High Altitude Lighters???
At 10,000 feet butane boils at 12F so it has to be very cold to affect a lighter. I've had lighters work fine above that altitude and fail at sea level. I'd never rely on just a lighter (or...

In GEAR » High Altitude Lighters???
July 08, 5:23pm

Health care systems
In my view, as British, I have to say that I think the NHS is about as good and egalitarian a health care system as is possible while the US system is appalling and frightening. Of course the NHS i...

In Chaff » Medical praise stories
July 06, 10:10am

Polypropylene
Dan, polypropylene is as bad or worse than any polyester for smelling. In the UK Helly-Hansen polypro tops used to be known as "smelly hellies" because of this. And you used not to be abl...

In GEAR » Stewing in your own juices
July 05, 5:53am

Kodachrome—RIP
The end of an era. Though I have to admit I stopped using Kodachrome over 20 years ago, long before digital. And my XA died in the 1980s too.

In Photography » Kodachrome—RIP
June 22, 1:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.