BPL Community Profile

Shawn Basil (Bearpaw) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Eagle Scout, Philmont Ranger, Marine Corps Arctic/Mountain training (Norway deployments), Appalachian Trail Through-hiker ('99), NOLS Instructor ('01-'03), Trail Crew Leader (Cumberland Trail Conference, '00-'05), Pack and Bootfitter (REI, '01-'06), Colorado Trail Through-hiker ('06)
CityNashville
StateTennessee
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6275

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Shawn Basil

Showing 191 - 200 of 284 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

are straps necessary on a quilt?
I think a lot depends on how you sleep. If you are a die-hard toss-and-turner, straps may be necessary. I tend to turn over 3 or 4 times a night, but I wake up to do so allowing me to adjust the ...

In GEAR » are straps necessary on a quilt?
February 20, 8:36pm

Re: Denali wood burning
That would make a big difference in the rationale for not using the BushBuddy there. Thanks for the input.

In GEAR » Bushbuddy in Denali?
February 18, 12:16pm

Re: Re: Bushbuddy in Denali?
I'd hate to recommend something that could under the wrong cirucumstances net someone a large fine or worse, but I have to agree with John on this point. If used properly the bushbuddy is a st...

In GEAR » Bushbuddy in Denali?
February 18, 10:35am

Re: You know you are an ultralight backpacker if...
You buy lots of Fosters even though you don't like the beer and convince "friends" to drink it. Then you gather all the cans for MYOG projects..... You bring your own scales to RE...

In Philosophy & Technique » You know you are an ultralight backpacker if...
February 16, 3:52pm

Fair prices and MYOG
I hope I can offer a couple of thoughts that can help. I've worked for REI since 2001 and one of the really big perks are the obscenely low prices manufacturers offer employees for select ge...

In GEAR » Lightweight Gear Excluding Smaller Wallets
February 16, 12:57pm

mosquito netting
Wow Ron, the GG design seems great. I was going to recommend the Mombasa Defender (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47946154&...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features?
February 15, 5:44pm

Light is as light hikes........
For through-hikes, my base weight generally floats between 12 and 17 pounds, depending on where I am going and when I am hiking. For example, summer in Kentucky while hammocking along the Sheltowe...

In GEAR » How light is light enough? And why?
February 14, 2:18pm

Re: Re: Base Layer
Ben makes a great point about testing gear out. I tried an REI Merino Wool long-sleeve shirt last year and it itched intensely no matter how much I washed it. This year, I tried a Smartwool micro...

In GEAR » Base Layer
February 09, 12:34pm

Re: load ratings of footwear
Many companies have often given a general range of activity: dayhiking, light backpacking, trekking, expedition, etc. I've seen a few listings in which companies would give a weight range lik...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » load ratings of footwear
February 08, 9:35pm

Re: UL instep crampons? CMI, Grivel?
I've used CMI instep crampons before for winter hiking in the Smokies, where higher country often resulted in icy conditions. They were decent, but the patches were often 200 yards of very sli...

In GEAR » UL instep crampons? CMI, Grivel?
February 08, 5:00pm

All Reader Reviews by Shawn Basil

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Gregory Z-55
After loving my old Gregory Z-Pack, I had high hopes for the beautifully ventilated Z-55. As a southeastern hiker, I usually head west to high cool mountains when summer heat and humidity begin to ba...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 11:25am

ULA Catalyst
I've owned 14 packs in the last 8 years and the ULA Catalyst is the best pack of the lot. I've used in Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau and Great Smoky Mountains, Nevada's Tahoe Rim Tra...

August 01, 9:23pm

Princeton Tec EOS
For years I used my Tikka and Tikka Plus, exuberantly satisfied with the compact, lightweight, and long-lasting nature of their light. But at times, I found that when I really needed extra light, suc...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
February 24, 3:53pm

Probar Energy Bar
When I first tried a Probar, I though I had finally found the "perfect trail bar" to challenge the venerable Bear Valley Pemmican Bar. It packs smaller, weighs slightly less, performs just ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 5:13pm

Bear Valley Mealpack Bars
Bear Valley Meal Pack and Pemmican Bars are, without a doubt, one of the most efficient foods a backpacker can hope to carry. Since I first encountered them as a scout at Philmont 22 years ago, they ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 23, 4:55pm

GoLite Phantom Jacket
This was my jacket during my Colorado Trail through-hike this past summer. It's breathability is better than most, and its ventilation is superb. I hiked many miles over two weeks through monsoo...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:55pm

Arc'Teryx Sirrus Jacket
This jacket, made in 2002 and 2003 used a combination of XCR Goretex with Paclite fabric, a combination I have not seen in other jackets. The breathability is, to put it mildly, superb. The material...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 21, 1:44pm

Mountainsmith Ghost
For warm weather in areas where I don't need to carry large amounts of water, this is my favorite pack. I use the original blue 2002 version. The pack is a dream for my longer torso. For those ...

February 21, 1:36pm

Gregory Z-Pack
I love my old, but tough 2004 Z-pack. It served me well for over 1000 miles and is still in good overall shape. My size large weighs in at exactly 3 pounds (after trimming off nearly 4 ounces of unn...

February 21, 1:23pm

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
I first read The Complete Walker III in 1997. I'd been backpacking recreationally for 15 years, but still learned a tremendous amount and appreciated the well-written prose and humor in the book....

In Books and Media
February 21, 10:27am