BPL Community Profile

Andy F (AndyF) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Andy F hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Andy F has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWet-cold winter

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andy F

Showing 191 - 200 of 1128 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...113

Forum » Thread

Re: Dolly Sods this coming weekend
Nice pack! Is it worth the weight? Do you need the bivvy? (I'm not familiar with the coverage of that tarp.) No sleeping pad?

In Gear Lists » Dolly Sods this coming weekend
July 26, 11:51am

Re: Catnip as mosquito repellant?
One study found that, on the skin, catnip isn't as effective as DEET: "We conclude that catnip oil and nepetalactone isomers are significantly less effective than deet or SS220 in deter...

In GEAR » Catnip as mosquito repellant?
July 26, 9:06am

simplicity
I often don't bring tent stakes, relying on sticks instead. It's the simple things which make it simple. There is also false simplicity. A bivy sack alone for a shelter seems so simple, ...

In Philosophy & Technique » More than being "light". The beauty of simplicity.
July 25, 11:11pm

Re: Exped Synmat UL 7 VS Downmat UL7 VS Big Agnes Q Core
I agree with the advice above to get the Synmat UL7 and a thin foam pad to supplement it on colder nights. If you do this, you might want to strap the two together, as stacked pads tend to become u...

In GEAR » Exped Synmat UL 7 VS Downmat UL7 VS Big Agnes Q Core
July 25, 10:59pm

Re: Shell layers for winter?
My current winter shell clothing is: Pants: Marmot Scree softshell (nylon) Gaiters: Rab Hispar eVent Jacket: eVent Packa (pack cover part of this is silnylon) I backpack mainly in Ohio and ...

In GEAR » Shell layers for winter?
July 25, 9:06am

Re: Advice on Backpack: Crown VC 60 vs 2012 Mariposa
I'm surprised you can't fit that gear into a Gorilla. I have one, and it works for all but winter trips, even if I take a TT Scarp 2. That's for 3 days though. Are you using a synthetic...

In GEAR » Advice on Backpack: Crown VC 60 vs 2012 Mariposa
July 24, 2:12pm

Re: limited options
>As for the sandals would people use a liner sock, VB sock and then a wool one over that? Yes, and you could add another one over that for more insulation as long as the sock is stretchy enou...

In GEAR » Different winter footwear suggestions?
July 24, 2:02pm

Re: Different winter footwear suggestions?
If poor breathability is the problem with the waterproof socks, you could try using vapor barrier socks with them. I've done this with my Inov8 trail runners with and without oven bags as the v...

In GEAR » Different winter footwear suggestions?
July 24, 11:39am

Re: Lightweight Sleeping pad
Exped SynMat UL7 It's around 16 oz, so it won't save you as much weight. If you're a side sleeper, the weight will likely be worth it. Otherwise, get a Ridge Rest SOLite or Z Lite...

In GEAR » Lightweight Sleeping pad
July 24, 10:37am

Re: Need a tougher tent stake
I haven't tried them, but a titanium nail stake seems like a good option.

In GEAR » Need a tougher tent stake
July 23, 10:20am

All Reader Reviews by Andy F

Andy F has posted no reviews.