Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 191 - 200 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: canister stove options
Canister stoves are pretty basic, not a lot to change from year to year. I like the Snowpeak GS-100 a lot, very stable legs, light, good stove. The Litemax is nice too. The Pocket Rocket has legion...

In GEAR » canister stove options
October 04, 10:30am

Re: Sounds like Summerlite is the way to go.
Andy, I think most people get too carried away talking about the cut of the Summerlite. I'm 5'6 and 165; I feel like the Summerlite has extra room that I don't need. My taller, skinnier...

In GEAR » WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
October 01, 12:33pm

mids
FWIW, I've regularly slept (& comfortably) 2 people per side of the center pole in a 9x9 mid. Actually, it's usually been two people on one half, 2 shepherd mixes and all the gear on th...

In GEAR » 4 person backpacking shelter
October 01, 12:29pm

Re: WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
I haven't handled a Montbell sleeping bag that was as well filled as a Western bag. Apples to apples, Westerns are more densely filled, ie no cold spots. Most people will find the Summerlite mo...

In GEAR » WM Summerlite vs. Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
October 01, 12:10pm

Re: Quest WPB Material
Momentum is water resistant, but quite distinctly not nearly waterproof as primary shelter rain protection. You would get wet using that as a bivy material without shelter. I've had good luc...

In Make Your Own Gear » Quest WPB Material
September 30, 12:14pm

sizing comment
Just to clarify, when I said to go up one size on the Rab/ID stuff, I say that assuming you're just wearing "normal" clothing. IE, if I'm wearing a 150-wt wool and a midweight woo...

In GEAR » eVent Rain Pants & Rain Suits
September 30, 12:05pm

Re: Rab sizing
Chris, you wouldn't wear down under a shell while hiking. You'd do it in camp if you're in mixed conditions, ie 30*F rain. On Rab/ID sizing, go up a size from normal. I wear a mediu...

In GEAR » eVent Rain Pants & Rain Suits
September 28, 6:34pm

Re: 4 person backpacking shelter
I forgot: Check out the MLD SuperMid with InnerNet. It's 3 pounds total, fly and inner. Use trekking poles for the center; if you don't like that idea, add a pound (?) for a center pole....

In GEAR » 4 person backpacking shelter
September 28, 3:01pm

Re: neo + closed cell or insulated mat?
I don't find an insulated pad remotely limiting... I carry a 12 x 20 inch scrap of foam pad to use as a sit pad, can double it over if needed, adds an ounce or two to the pack. And I sleep plen...

In GEAR » neo + closed cell or insulated mat?
September 28, 2:56pm

Re: Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
For the sake of posterity, I painted some Tent Sure on an old tacky fly. I didn't wash it or anything first, but even with one coat on there the tackiness is almost gone. Mind you, by the time ...

In GEAR » Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
September 28, 10:51am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.