BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1831 - 1839 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

re-waterproofing
I'm not sure if you can effectively reseal coated fabric with flaking sealer. It might be like painting over peeling paint. I've used bulk K-Kote sealer with a small brush when seam sealing a lo...

In GEAR » Re-waterproofing a backpacking tent
April 26, 4:38am

staying on a silnylon floor/groundcloth
My TarpTent has no floor but I use a silnylon groundcloth like shown in this photo The ridgerest pad shown still tended to move around if the ground was very uneven so I have since switched from 3...

In GEAR » Slippy-Slidy Tarp Tent
April 17, 6:34pm

TarpTent Squall
Still looking for a squall? If so, can you live without a floor? I have one in good condition, used 10 nights. I've moved up to a Cloudburst for 2 and down to a homemade TarpTent 1 for solo.

In Gear Swap » WTB Tarptent Squall
April 08, 2:45pm

pot cozies
Regarding the suggestion that sleeping gear double as a pot cozy .... two words, food odor. Folks I've camped with tell me I'm a lot less bear-phobic than average but adding food odor to sleepin...

In GEAR » AntiGravity Gear Pot Cozy
March 22, 3:52pm

TarpTent!
TarpTent makes fine products. I don't know about the designs that are new for this year but the Cloudburst is very nice with good interior volume and good vertical clearance right to the edge. ...

In GEAR » Europa 05, Tarptent, or SD Flashlight
March 19, 7:11pm

thru-hiker shell pants now available
The Liberty Ridge pants kit is now available at www.thru-hiker.com And yes, it is a good easy first sewing project. 2.7 oz for 42" waist 31" inseam, made from 1.1oz/yd fabric, flat 1/4" nylon...

In GEAR » 3-season "do it all" pants...
March 15, 6:22pm

using tent poles instead of trekking poles
My home made TarpTent as well as the earlier models of manufactured TarpTents (first incarnations of the Virga and Squall) use Easton Aluminum poles with grommet ends and a #1 size grommet through ...

In GEAR » using tent poles instead of trekking poles?
February 15, 7:40pm

2 Person Ultralight Tent
disclaimer: Most of my single wall tenting is in MN, Apr thru Oct I'd go with a TarpTent Cloudburst, or perhaps the new Squall 2. The original Squall is lighter but vertical clearance on the ed...

In GEAR » 2 Person Ultralight Tent
January 27, 2:27pm

Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004
1) homemade TarpTent 1 modified with a catenary cut ridge, small beak on foot end, larger beak on head end 2) size medium GoLite Breeze ... rides with minimal shoulder weight sitting on top of a...

In GEAR » Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?
December 30, 2:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am