Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1831 - 1840 of 1890 | Page: 1 ...170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189

Forum » Thread

sewing machine advice for Ryan
Ryan, The previous advice in this thread says most of what you need to know. A well tuned up older machine that does straight and zig-zag stitches is what you want. Here and at thru-hiker fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » What sewing machine to buy??
November 09, 8:14pm

Re: Re: Bill's SUL Gear List
Ryan, I'm gonna fork this thread over to MYOG to talk about getting sewing machines. See ya there.

In Gear Lists » Bill's SUL Gear List
November 09, 7:58pm

Re: Lack of Winter Camping experience
However, I agree regarding the food, and that was why I said 1.5- 2 lbs per day, certainly feel 2 lbs is much more appropriate. Our beloved lab rat will do as he pleases but I'd be packing 4000 ...

In Gear Lists » Ryan Jordan's SUL Winter Challenge
November 05, 3:38pm

Re: BobG's SUL Winter List
Jim-- i think wood fires above timberline are unconscionable. No argument there ... I didn't cue into above treeline as being part of the deal. Living 1000 miles from the nearest treeline makes...

November 01, 6:25pm

Re: New Winter SUL Gear List
I've used esbit on solo "shoulder season" trips (cold temps but pre-snowfall) for a few years but no way I'd plan on using esbit to melt snow. BTW, are wood fires considered out of bounds for this?

November 01, 4:56pm

more about drying collapsable water containers
* yes you can buy T fittings for the air lines * If you are really worried about disinfecting water bags .... add a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach to one gallon of tepid water and mix wel...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 30, 2:20pm

drying collapsable water containers
Several folks have noted that collapsable water containers take forever to dry. That can be solved with air exchange if you don't live in *VERY* humid conditions. I tried a small aquarium a...

In GEAR » Hydration Bladder Insight
October 30, 6:11am

picture test
One way to dry a platypus

In User Test Forum » test
October 30, 5:55am

yet another test

October 29, 1:04pm

Re: spinntarp
And the trick is??????

October 28, 9:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am