BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1821 - 1830 of 1840 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

quilt shell material
thru-hiker is a nice source for DIY materials including PL, PG-3D and 0.8, 1.1 & 1.9 oz nylon with DWR

In Make Your Own Gear » Primaloft quilts
May 26, 11:45am

color and emissivity
What your eye sees as darkness in a material is an indication of the material's albedo for visible light. Radiant heat loss is due to infrared radiation Thermal emissivity is a measure of ...

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 21, 6:43am

re: look here
The 62gm/m**2 for that material works out to approx 1.85oz/yd**2 .... more or less 33% heavier than what is typically called sil nylon in the ultralight backpacking context

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to buy silnylon in the UK?
May 18, 9:21pm

slip sliding away
I don't know about PU sealer as an anti-slip on the big agnes mattress but here's an idea for taking the slip out of a sylnylon floor.

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 17, 5:43am

Moonbow Gearskin review
I don't own and have not used a gearskin but based on reviews I've read it's at the top of my list if I should ever need more volume. Sgt. Rock offers a solution for using it with very small loa...

In GEAR » Moonbow Gearskin review
May 12, 2:51pm

sewing machine
I get by with one made in the first half of the last century but would be happier if it did zig-zag. You can get excellent sewing machine advice at thru-hiker

In Make Your Own Gear » What sewing machine to buy??
May 05, 2:50pm

squall
that would be jim at colten.net

In GEAR » How do you Go Ultralight Without Spending Major $$$? (please ignore previous thread).
May 04, 9:19pm

pack add-ons
Two comments about this thread: 1) if all the improvements suggested here were made I think we'd have a pack weighing 3-4 lbs 2) but having said that, for my tastes, SMALL belt pockets add va...

In GEAR » Tough but light backpack?
May 04, 2:41pm

squall
Frank, let's take this off line ... my_firstname at my_lastname dot net

In GEAR » How do you Go Ultralight Without Spending Major $$$? (please ignore previous thread).
May 03, 8:13pm

TarpTents
I started with a Squall as a large solo. That got me comfortable with the idea that I could be OK under a tarp. After surviving a few downpours in the squall I moved up to a Cloudburst as a more ...

May 01, 9:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am