BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1801 - 1810 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184

Forum » Thread

an alternative hat brim stiffener
Not being a gram weenie (yet, anyway) I've used, really like and will continue to use thru-hiker's timtex. But if that's too heavy you might try fiberglass window sceen material. At my nearest ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Light Weight - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike
August 31, 7:44pm

Re: insul-mat uber micro pad
If you decide you want to try it you can find it for sale here

In GEAR » insul-mat uber micro pad
August 29, 3:06pm

Re: Make a Canister Cozy
I'm trying (and failing) to get my brain around the idea of a canister cozy for cold weather. But since I've not used a canister in the cold I suspect I'm just missing something. Cold weather r...

In Make Your Own Gear » Make A Canister Cozy
August 25, 9:24pm

sewing silnylon
Silnylon presents a lot of challenges. A walking foot is alleged to make it easier. Have you tried adjusting the downward pressure on the foot? It might also be productive to ask at thru-hiker

In Make Your Own Gear » Need silnylon sewing tips
August 22, 3:46pm

Re: Re: inserting an active hyperlink.......
ACK! Sorry about that typo. I've edited the original post to correct it. It ain't nearly as easy to include an example of HTML in a web page as it is to make a functional hyperlink. This ve...

In GEAR » Ultralight Outfitters Beer Can Stove System for Esbit Fuel
August 22, 2:55am

inserting an active hyperlink into a forum msg
Bill, How to create an active link here .... If you want rings on ebay to take you to http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZbigcojones then put this &#...

August 21, 8:22pm

Re: UltraLight Outfitters Beer Can Cook pot Stove small air gap?
I had the same initial reaction as David Lewis ... in that photo the windscreen is *WAY* too tight to allow adequate airflow for combustion. But when I watched the quicktime demo video and learn...

August 14, 12:20pm

re: pillow talk
I too need (want?) a substantial head suppport at night. I had a Qualofil (sp?)camp pillow for many years. When the flannel cover finally rotted away I cut off about 1/3 of the filling and used...

In GEAR » Pillow Talk
August 13, 2:33pm

re: family tent
Ditto the endorsements of TarpTents. I'd add that the models I've used (original Squall, Cloudburst and homemade TT1) have all benefited from using 2 extra stakes and guy lines at the midpoints...

In GEAR » Family Tent
August 05, 7:54am

TI Trowel questions
Bill, 1) what gauge/thickness Ti stock did you use? 2) What did you use to cut and drill the Ti?

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Light Weight - Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike
July 31, 8:10am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am