BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1801 - 1810 of 1822 | Page: 1 ...164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183

Forum » Thread

why not punch the jet holes before cutting the fill hole?
Jay, Is there any tendancy for the can to collapse under the force of pushing the needle thru the wall? Seems like it'd be a little sturdier if that were done before cutting the fill hole. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » BPL MYOG Project: Open Jet Alcohol Stove
June 04, 1:44am

garment sizing
Ditto Carol's request. All the sizing adjectives in the world (generous, athletic, trim, roomy) don't have half the value of a single accurate measurement.

In GEAR » BMW Cocoon Pullover sizing
May 30, 7:55pm

quilt shell material
thru-hiker is a nice source for DIY materials including PL, PG-3D and 0.8, 1.1 & 1.9 oz nylon with DWR

In Make Your Own Gear » Primaloft quilts
May 26, 11:45am

color and emissivity
What your eye sees as darkness in a material is an indication of the material's albedo for visible light. Radiant heat loss is due to infrared radiation Thermal emissivity is a measure of ...

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 21, 6:43am

re: look here
The 62gm/m**2 for that material works out to approx 1.85oz/yd**2 .... more or less 33% heavier than what is typically called sil nylon in the ultralight backpacking context

In Make Your Own Gear » Where to buy silnylon in the UK?
May 18, 9:21pm

slip sliding away
I don't know about PU sealer as an anti-slip on the big agnes mattress but here's an idea for taking the slip out of a sylnylon floor.

In GEAR » big agnes mummy style mattresses
May 17, 5:43am

Moonbow Gearskin review
I don't own and have not used a gearskin but based on reviews I've read it's at the top of my list if I should ever need more volume. Sgt. Rock offers a solution for using it with very small loa...

In GEAR » Moonbow Gearskin review
May 12, 2:51pm

sewing machine
I get by with one made in the first half of the last century but would be happier if it did zig-zag. You can get excellent sewing machine advice at thru-hiker

In Make Your Own Gear » What sewing machine to buy??
May 05, 2:50pm

squall
that would be jim at colten.net

In GEAR » How do you Go Ultralight Without Spending Major $$$? (please ignore previous thread).
May 04, 9:19pm

pack add-ons
Two comments about this thread: 1) if all the improvements suggested here were made I think we'd have a pack weighing 3-4 lbs 2) but having said that, for my tastes, SMALL belt pockets add va...

In GEAR » Tough but light backpack?
May 04, 2:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am