BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 181 - 190 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: How to add a tie-out
Eric, Sorry, I misunderstood. I add side pullouts by first stitching a grossgrain loop to a 6 or 7 inch diameter disk of fabric that is compatible with the tarp - silnylon to sylnylon and polyur...

In Make Your Own Gear » How to add a tie-out
September 08, 11:49am

Re: How to add a tie-out
I suspect that a simple grossgrain loop sewn onto the hem and stitched with 2 or 3 lines parallel to the hem outside the hem stitching will be as strong as you need. Extra reinforcement is not like...

In Make Your Own Gear » How to add a tie-out
September 07, 8:03pm

Re: There You Go - Appropriate TP
A couple of things to consider before running out to buy paper shop towels: They are much stronger than regular paper towels - sorta stiff and way too much thickness for the job. IOW, extra weight...

In GEAR » 4"x4" blue shop towel squares???
August 30, 8:45pm

Re: Cozy Mug
Mark, I use the foil/foam laminate windshield reflectors as well. They work OK. The smallest Ziploc storage container (semi-rigid, with lid) holds 9 oz, and makes a fine cup. Addition of foil/...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cozy Mug
August 30, 8:23pm

Re: Is it...SIL-nylon?!?!
Jeremy, Until you learn to ID fabrics, it is much better to buy from a retailer who says they carry what you want. Look in BPL Forums: "Make Your Own Gear >> Materials Sourcing" fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Is it...SIL-nylon?!?!
August 28, 5:15pm

Re: Box quilting
Allison, I assume you mean box baffles that extend across the full width of the quilt. There is good info on this if you search this forum and also at several suppliers' sites - with illustra...

In Make Your Own Gear » Box quilting
August 27, 3:27pm

Re: Short Stuff (utensils)
Well, it would be messy for reaching the bottom of the bag or pot. Besides, it's, like, a SPORK, ya know? That is, a device of illusory utility, seeming to offer some advantage but failing to ...

In GEAR » Short Stuff (utensils)
August 25, 8:06pm

Re: Making first project
Check the forum on "Material sources" http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1740/index.html

In Make Your Own Gear » Making first project
August 25, 5:24pm

Re: Welding?
Have you considered wood? If that seems impractical, aluminum is easy to work with home shop hand tools.

In Make Your Own Gear » Welding?
August 25, 5:21pm

Re: build up on pots used with bush buddy
An old, reliable trick is to soap the pot BEFORE you use it over wood. Just scrub it with a bar of Ivory until you build up a thin layer. Let it soot up on the trip, then wash it off when you get ...

In GEAR » build up on pots used with bush buddy
August 25, 5:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm