BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 181 - 190 of 299 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Leash
I ALWAYS kept my dog leashed when in public places, including parks or trails. While I knew my dog was well-tempered, I couldn't expect everyone else to know it. And so, I kept him on a lea...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is this just bad luck with aggressive dogs or is this normal?
September 10, 7:23pm

moving vs sleeping
You are the best judge of when you need more or less insulation. It revolves around your metabolism when you are moving, vs when you are not. Generally, a person needs significantly more insulati...

In GEAR » Sleep system idea
September 10, 3:41pm

Bug bivy
A bug bivy might be nice. If you have good coverage shelter, you won't need a bivy to keep your quilt dry. There are heavy rains during the early part of the year, which can get pretty viol...

In GEAR » Do I need a bivy?
September 10, 11:37am

GG
Gossamer Gear Rik Sak is 15 liters and just over 2 ounces. Just basically a big stuff sack with padded shoulder straps, and is about $30. Excellent for a very light pack if you don't need mor...

In GEAR » Pack for small trips/travel/biking
September 10, 9:01am

More consumer oriented.
In my earlier post on this thread, I tried to convey my belief that this is an attempt to reach the more general consumer market by both ULA and Klymit. I don't think this bag is targeted at S...

In GEAR » ULA Sleeping bag
September 10, 8:46am

MB
I have a MB SS UL Hugger in a lighter weight, and it is a very nice bag. They have a good design with that "stretch" design, because it stays close around you and keeps the insulation cl...

In GEAR » marmot hydrogen or mont bell ul ss #3
September 10, 8:09am

Re: Trekking Poles
I don't use trekking poles, so I can't really comment about that, other than to say that I hear trekking pole users sometimes mention it. Dri-Ducks are popular. Also get a pack cover. T...

In GEAR » Rain Gear
September 09, 3:14pm

re
If it's not raining, just get up and go outside. If it's raining, then you can get out of your bag and pee in the bottle(or whatever) in the tent. If there are people in a hut with yo...

In GEAR » Pee bottle?? best practices
September 09, 2:34pm

rain gear vs poncho
It seems to be a matter of opinion about poncho vs raincoat and pants. Personally, I like the poncho, but it can get unruly in wind, and might drag low in the bushes in some cases. Usually, a bu...

In GEAR » Rain Gear
September 09, 2:29pm

Separate bag.
I carry a separate bag with a shoulder strap for all my food and cooking stuff. All the odor producing stuff is in there. When I'm not cooking, I sling a line over a tall tree limb, and hoist...

In GEAR » pots in bear country
September 09, 10:14am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.