BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 181 - 190 of 1036 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...104

Forum » Thread

Train shuttles
Is there any place other than Durango/Silverton and possibly the Big South Fork in KY that you can use a train to shuttle back to your vehicle?

In Pre-Trip Planning » Train shuttles
January 27, 12:20pm

Re: Ground Sheet Required
> Interesting to note as well, is that Zpacks listing indicates a ground sheet is required with the netting floor. Ah, I was wondering how you kept all the mud and debris from collecting on t...

In GEAR » Pyramid tent with netting floor
January 27, 12:03pm

Re: Oops
> Should I just swap the rain cover for a trash compactor bag? The bag is likely lighter and more secure, but if you don't cross any deep creeks it's not as big an issue. You still...

In Gear Lists » Am I missing anything?
January 25, 1:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Weight of Solo Tarp with Vesibules
I can see the lines of sail tape for what you're calling the inside edge. A pic would help me understand what you mean by outside edge. It appears they are inset from the end a couple inches, w...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
January 25, 9:36am

Re: STP Codes
You sign up for the Sierra Trading Post email list and you'll get codes in your email several times a week. They vary on what they can be applied toward, % off, shipping discounts, etc. Just ha...

In Gear Lists » Midwest Gear List - Spring / Summer 2012
January 25, 6:19am

Re: Weight of Solo Tarp with Vesibules
Nice job, David. I'd be interested on hearing more details on the door attachments and how you deal with varying pitch widths.

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
January 25, 6:12am

Re: scrubpad
If you do cook in the pot sometimes you can keep it (or use sandy dirt), but you only need just a small piece.

January 24, 1:41pm

Re: group water pot
For a canister stove, it's more efficient for sure to boil one large pot. The Imusa is a good inexpensive choice, but may not be enough for 4 people or even 3 if drinks are also involved so you...

January 24, 12:36pm

New Sawyer squeeze bags for 2013
They have apparently changed the bags for 2013. I didn't know there was such a problem until I read John's blog.

In Gear Lists » Am I missing anything?
January 24, 9:53am

Re: Midwest Gear List - Spring / Summer 2012
That's a huge pot for one person. Why not go with a Super Cat stove and beer can pot for essentially no cost? Though I guess you cook in the pot since you list a scrub pad. Do you really eat...

January 24, 8:23am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.