BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 181 - 190 of 1008 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight Scouting Dissertation
I'm bumping this simply because it doesn't seem to appear in the forum index anymore since the last post had been deleted during the spamfest we had a couple months back. Now it should have...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightweight Scouting Dissertation
January 08, 2:50pm

Re: canyoneering shoes (for Narrows)
Brian, I understand you were replying to the OP above, but I AM doing the Narrows (and a couple popular short slots in Escalante) in late June so would you still use neoprene socks then? David Che...

In GEAR » Shoes for canyoneering - Inov-8s?
January 08, 12:08pm

Re: long-term testing
Nice, David. In my experience the tape was the weakest point. I found the 3M 2120 did a fair job of adhering to the membrane even after 2 months of constant exposure to summer sun. I'd guess yo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
January 06, 12:10pm

Re: Re: Polycryo
Polycryo is much better than polyethylene as a shelter material. The only thing that should have any serious chance of damaging it is having a stick fall on it where it would puncture. It will stan...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
January 06, 10:14am

Re: Tuolumne Meadows
> However, it doesn't make so much sense for northbound JMT hikers. I can see that, but prefer to use only one canister if possible so my son doesn't need to carry one as well. Som...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
January 04, 2:21pm

Re: Tuolumne Meadows
Where should we leave resupply at TM when we drive through assuming all services are open? Are there better places to camp there (preferably for free)? > It would seem Davis Lakes would ma...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
January 04, 1:50pm

Re: Shoes for canyoneering - Inov-8s?
Will, What did you get and how did they work out? I normally use 315s as well. I need to get something for my son.

In GEAR » Shoes for canyoneering - Inov-8s?
January 03, 9:22pm

Re: Is 600-650 down worth it?
I recall this post a few weeks back. If you buy it, you should tell him he owes me commission. ;) I have 3 Sub Kilo bags and that's a decent price. Been happy with it except when my son isn'...

In GEAR » Is 600-650 down worth it?
January 03, 5:57pm

Re: Outsak UL any good?
Mine has worked fine so far. You must live in the desert portion to not have to worry about bears in OR.

In GEAR » Outsak UL any good?
January 03, 5:48pm

Re: Re: Pictured Rock in April
> a local told me that last winter was not a proper one. That's an understatement if it was anything like we had here in IN! Steve, I could go first week of April but would want to tak...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pictured Rock in April
January 02, 8:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.