BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 181 - 190 of 1296 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...130

Forum » Thread

Re: Calorie Consumption
I think most people don't worry too much about the calories of the food and instead go by weight. Anywhere from 1 to 2lbs food per day should suffice. Usually you carry a variety so the pounds ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Calorie Consumption
August 30, 12:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Have any of you ditched trekking poles as you've lightened your weight?
I've actually been considering doing away with the poles and ordering the optional tent poles for my Gossamer Gear tent (if they still make them and they're lighter than my poles.) I hardly...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Have any of you ditched trekking poles as you've lightened your weight?
August 30, 12:40pm

Re: How fast to you hike?
Ray Jardine had some interesting charts in his PCT Handbook long ago that showed that speed isn't the important variable. Hours are. Lots of times I'll be out hiking with people and they...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How fast to you hike?
August 30, 12:34pm

Re: Lassen National Park (Favorite hike?)
Probably too late for you, but if you can do the day hike to Bumpass Hell it's totally worth it.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lassen National Park (Favorite hike?)
August 30, 12:12pm

Re: Re: Backpacking in winter and being bored?
Bring a good book Bring a musical instrument Have a campfire and stare into the flames Bring a deck of cards Get really caught up on sleep and maybe even cultivate a surplus Bring on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking in winter and being bored?
August 21, 12:21pm

Re: Re: dont leave you crap for everyone to see
I did not intend my message to be location dependent. When it comes to bathroom habits, people become unable to you know, do the deed, if their habits are changed. Better not to have a habit like b...

In Philosophy & Technique » Used Toilet Paper - Pack it out!
August 21, 12:16pm

Re: dont leave you crap for everyone to see
No no don't burn your TP. People burning their TP have burned up parts of the PCT.

In Philosophy & Technique » Used Toilet Paper - Pack it out!
August 19, 4:46pm

Re: "cooking" with a caldera cone alcohol stove setup...
I use an alcohol stove and a caldera cone (and I've used the stove without the cone, too.) I don't use minute rice or other instant starches and cous-cous doesn't need to be cooked at a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » "cooking" with a caldera cone alcohol stove setup...
August 19, 4:38pm

Re: Powdered coconut milk and thai/indian dishes
Yeah, I've been cooking with curries. I buy any kind that says to add coconut milk. I have brought coconut manna with me for this. I recently purchased coconut cream powder but haven't trie...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Powdered coconut milk and thai/indian dishes
August 19, 4:12pm

Re: real meat?
I used grass-fed tallow for my pemmican, but purchased lean grocery store meat. It just lacked much in the way of flavor so was a little hard to eat. It left me feeling good after eating it. I j...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Coconut pemmican and any other pemmican ideas?
August 12, 6:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.