BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 181 - 190 of 1273 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...128

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Should you walk or run through the rain?
How about bees? Should you walk or run through a swarm of bees? How about yellow jackets or those gray ground bees? Personally I run like hell but those yellow jackets still sting me every time.

In Philosophy & Technique » To stay as dry as possible, should you walk or run through the rain?
July 27, 8:56pm

Re: Locking Knees while Hiking, Is it practiced?
I will rest-step up a steep hill if I'm tired. Otherwise, I just walk like normal. It doesn't tire me much to just walk along normal.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Locking Knees while Hiking, Is it practiced?
July 27, 8:54pm

Re: Headed to the Winds.. Advice?
I just came back from the Winds. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. I had no idea alcohol stoves were banned. I used one. It rained every day, too. Hard to believe it's dry. I ha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Headed to the Winds.. Advice?
July 27, 8:52pm

Re: Best No Cook Trail Menu
I just came back from a hike with some CDT thru-hikers who were no-cook. They basically would rehydrate their meals a few hours in advance. They were able to rehydrated all kinds of mixtures of deh...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Best No Cook Trail Menu
July 27, 8:36pm

Food on a hike in the Winds
I backpacked the Winds from Big Sandy to Green River Lakes through the Cirque of the Towers and over Knapsack Col from July 20 to July 25. I joined a group of 4 CDT thru-hikers. I was able to keep ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food on a hike in the Winds
July 27, 8:22pm

Re: Bars
Bar Cal/Dollar Cal/Ounce US Wellness Pemmican 138 cals/$ 133 cals/oz Cals/$ doesn't include the $7.50 shipping or the 10% discount you get with a bigger order. Looks like fritos is the b...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bars
June 12, 10:43am

Re: Shelf stable?
I finally got around to trying my own hand at pemmican. I used London broils on sale at Ralphs and already rendered beef tallow from US Wellness meats. I bought a food processor especially for t...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The Process of Producing Pemmican
June 10, 3:28pm

Re: Feedback, lightening load, fretting over nothing
1. Shirt. If you've regretted it in the past, bring it this time. 2. Ipod. Leave it home. My personal opinion, but I'll often bring an instrument which weighs much more. 3. Camp shoes...

In Philosophy & Technique » Feedback, lightening load, fretting over nothing
June 06, 12:23pm

Re: Re: bears
I've seen a bear in Tuolumne Meadows campground every time I've been there. Saw a wild one in the high country. Never saw any in my campsite in the high country. Guess those bear canisters ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears bears bears
June 05, 11:46am

Re: Re: nori, dulse, etc
Oh yeah that dulse in a bag is tasty stuff. I sometimes just eat it as a snack at work. And dried mushrooms are great. So cheap if you can get them at Asian markets but even whole foods has a cheap...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dulse flakes
June 04, 10:30am

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.