BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 181 - 190 of 800 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...80

Forum » Thread

YNP in October
Raquel, Gary's weather advice is spot-on, but I'd take a chance, as October can really be one of the best times in the Park. I'm a Slough Creek veteran, and that area is wonderful, ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Where to fly for a week in mid October?
September 28, 8:26am

Comparing down jackets and sweaters
Loki, Thanks to pressure from the UL community there are two categories of down jackets/sweaters: -- lightweight pieces, usually with high-insulating down but not too much of it, intended ...

In GEAR » need down jacket advice
September 25, 8:29pm

Side windows
Mike, I think I see them but please confirm that they are there. I may be interested. Thanks, Richard

In Gear Swap » FS. Stephensons 2R Tent
September 21, 10:52pm

Magnificent!
Wonderful photos, Brendan. Thanks for sharing. Richard

In Post-Trip Reports » Glacier: Belly River to the Loop
September 21, 10:49pm

Mystery Ranch
Mystery Ranch packs are at their best with winter loads. Lightweight they are not, but unequalled at weight transfer. Pick the one that meets your volume needs. Cheers, Richard

In GEAR » Winter Pack recommendations
September 21, 10:46pm

Tenkara v Spin
Yuri, You'll cover much more water and catch many more fish with a spinning rig, which allows easy casting with no back cast, very important in many mountain lakes that have heavy trees righ...

In GEAR » Anybody have/use the Clarkii Rod?
September 20, 9:36pm

Holy Cross Wilderness
Another +1 - great country. I also second the notion of a fishing setup. Richard

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggestions for 4-day trips near Denver?
September 17, 9:37pm

Backcountry spin fishing
F M, I am a dedicated fly fisherman, but it's on my list to get a reasonably lightweight spin set-up for high country trips. Too many lakes with trees right to the shoreline and no backcast ...

In Fishing » New to fishing, need help!
September 16, 9:02pm

Backcountry fishing
F M, Oversimplifying greatly, you have three categories to choose from: Tenkara, traditional flyfishing, and spin fishing. Which you select should turn on where you'll be fishing, why you...

In Fishing » New to fishing, need help!
September 15, 2:17pm

WM sequoia
Great, great bag, I've been using mine for over twenty years. Go for this, somebody. Richard

In Gear Swap » FS: WM Sequoia MF 6' NEW with tags.
September 09, 6:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm