BPL Community Profile

Richard Gless (rgless) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Richard Gless has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Gless

Showing 181 - 190 of 325 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...33

Forum » Thread

Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
Starting the John Muir Trial in 1970. I'm the guy in the middle. My partners had all the muscles. The guy on the left was a linebacker at UC until he blew out a knee. The guy on the right wa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo
May 11, 10:59pm

Mount Cook NP New Zealand
Ryan, Incredible pictures! I thought people might enjoy seeing the same area under winter conditions. I was in New Zealand for a week on business in October 2007 and managed to find time to do...

In Post-Trip Reports » Mount Cook National Park New Zealand
May 10, 11:11pm

Gear List For Wind Rivers
Many years ago my wife and took two weeks in August and hiked from the southern end of the Wind River range to the northern end. We had two nice sunny days, but heavy afternoon rain on every other...

In Gear Lists » Gear List For Wind Rivers
May 07, 8:37pm

Staying Warm
I agree with all the things said above. I find my DriDucks rain gear are worth 5-10 degrees as an added layer. Eating a candy bar a 4:00 am can also help.

In GEAR » Staying Warm
May 05, 11:59pm

What is YOUR luxury item
Good Scotch.

In GEAR » What is YOUR luxury item
May 05, 12:36am

Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin
I have a set of old 15 min quads that I use for detailed work (Mt Goddard in this case). On the paper quad I see two peaks w 12258 between the two peaks with Pk 12290 much closer to Wanda Lake. O...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin
April 28, 5:39pm

Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin
The easiest route is to go from the outlet of Wanda Lake to the upper end of the Davis Lake basin over the notch south of Mt 12290. Easy in either direction. You can also over the notch between...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Goddard Canyon to Evolution Basin
April 28, 4:26pm

Carrying Peanut Butter
I've used two different options depending on how much I peanut butter I'm carrying (i.e., how long I'm out). The first option is any lightweight plastic bottle that seals well. For ex...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Carrying Peanut Butter
April 26, 9:40pm

UL Creatures
Spider in a Poppy - Henry Coe

In Photo Gallery » UL Creatures
April 17, 12:10am

Snow Peak Litemax
Review on BPL http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=26576&cat=Stoves%20%2D%20Canister&cid=19

In GEAR » Snow Peak Litemax
April 16, 12:56am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Gless

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

ZPacks Hexamid solo tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:37pm

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp and HexaNet
Seeing the stars at night is one of my favorite parts of backpacking so I wanted a two wall tent, bug net inner and rain fly outer. My first solo UL tent attempt was a Eureka Solitaire ā€“ too hard...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
March 17, 11:22pm

Snow Peak LiteMax
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove I bought a Snow Peak LiteMax this spring (2009) to replace my MSR Pocket Rocket and have been really happy with it, having used it for about 20 days now. Pros: 1. W...

In Stoves - Canister
December 06, 11:20pm

Black Diamond Orbit
I saw this advertised in Backpacker Magazine (yes, I still subscribe. Every once in a while I find something useful), and thought Iā€™d check it out. I picked it up at REI since I was going on a hike ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
May 08, 12:03am

Therm-a-Rest Neoair
I recently bought size small ThermaRest NeoAir Pads for both my wife and I. We were particularly interested in reducing pack weight while retaining or improving comfort. My wife went from a ThermaRe...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 01, 9:55pm

Merrell Chameleon Wrap GoreTex XCR
About twelve years ago as part of my journey to lighten my backpacking load I went from my second pair of Galibier Mountaineering boots (really heavy) to a pair of relatively lightweight Merrell leath...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 24, 10:03pm

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
I've used my BPL Esbit stove for 2-3 day solo trips for two years now. I think its a great compromise of lightweight and efficiency. You do have to recognize the stove's limitations and use ...

In Stoves - Other
February 20, 11:34pm

Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt
I purchased the Jack's R Better Mt. Rogers Quilt in large part based on the review by Shane above. I'd been looking at the possibility of using a quilt to cut weight for some time, and when J...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
July 17, 12:37am

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It's interesting how some products work for some people and not for others. I've tried the TorsoLite and the POE UberLite. They are just too short for me (I'm 5' 11"). On duff ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 01, 8:55pm

Zpacks Z1
I have to agree with all of Jonathan's comments. I bought this pack after seeing it mentioned on BPL and checking it out on the web. It only took about a week to arrive after I ordered it. ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 23, 10:26pm