BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 181 - 190 of 7099 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...710

Forum » Thread

Re: Crampons and Trekking poles...plus an ice ax
"the lost 15 miles to the border was brutal with many washouts and some really loose footings)" I can imagine being that close to the end might be tempted to take more chances at ri...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pacific Crest Trail: Trout Lake to Manning Park!
June 27, 9:44pm

Re: Oregon Butte - Blue Mountains in Washington
bear tracks - I've read other reports of bears up there (actually, they're everywhere : )

In Post-Trip Reports » Oregon Butte - Blue Mountains in Washington
June 27, 8:45pm

Re: Campsite Rage Cure?
I was camping once. Loud music. Wife asked them to turn it down. They turned it up. Once there were loud people in the middle of the night. Lots of Fxxx Yous. In the morning the police came...

In Philosophy & Technique » Campsite Rage Cure?
June 27, 5:03pm

Re: bicycle spokes
bicycle spoke stakes? Hmmm... interesting... 2 mm diameter - pretty thin - I wonder how they hold up when you pound them in? the top is bent over so maybe loop won't come off

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » favorite stakes
June 27, 4:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Baselayer question: How tight is too tight?
My wife has swollen ankles. She wears compression socks sometimes to keep fluid from pooling. But the compression is very tight. Hard to get on. I don't think your base layers are enough to...

In GEAR » Baselayer question: How tight is too tight?
June 27, 4:39pm

Re: Re: Like REI for independent gear - Boilerwerks, Suluk46, Enlightened Equipment
one other thing as long as I'm complaining about LED headlamps one thing I hate is the "low" setting isn't low enough. For inside my tent, I need little light. A "low&qu...

In On the Web » Like REI for independent gear - Boilerwerks, Suluk46, Enlightened Equipment
June 27, 12:06pm

Re: re: jerry
I agree that data isn't perfect New plants entering service in 2016 probably isn't bad, because we're talking about energy lifestyle choices (which will affect what plants to build) ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 27, 11:59am

Re: my little contribution
"My personal soapbox: the sooner we run out of oil (in the world) the better. Gas will get more expensive, cars will get smaller, public transportation will get better." One problem wi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question: Your Energy Lifestyle and Backpacking
June 27, 11:13am

Re: Like REI for independent gear - Boilerwerks, Suluk46, Enlightened Equipment
ahhh... I found something to click on to get specs - I thought that was the "order" link maybe it should say "specs" to be more obvious?

In On the Web » Like REI for independent gear - Boilerwerks, Suluk46, Enlightened Equipment
June 27, 10:51am

Re: Re: non-toxic bug juice ???
if the DEET melted your lens cap, maybe the solution is to put the DEET bottle in a plastic bag. I melted something, then started putting my DEET bottle in a zip top freezer bag and haven't ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » bug juice
June 27, 10:47am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.