BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 181 - 190 of 6439 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: Advice on spring backpacking near Portland, OR
Still a lot of snow at elevation, like on Mt Hood. Hard to find where trail is. Microspikes and/or snowshoes might be in order. Columbia Gorge would be wide open. Still some snow at highest p...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Advice on spring backpacking near Portland, OR
March 24, 7:36pm

Re: only variable?
and most of the weight of the tube of seam sealer evaporates. Maybe seam sealer adds 1 ounce? weight of your particular tent might be a few ounces greater than spec

In GEAR » Seam sealing weight gain?
March 24, 2:17pm

Re: Seam Sealing tent, weather timing questions
I think it's best to not rush the curing, you don't want to weaken it Maybe don't worry about seam sealing until you get back. Are you going somewhere it's going to rain a lot?

In GEAR » Seam Sealing tent, weather timing questions
March 24, 11:52am

Re: Libbers rule teabaggers drool blah blah blah blah
"Blah blah blah blah..." True enough : ) I just couldn't let it go when proposed to turn over National Parks to locals...

In Chaff » The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
March 24, 11:50am

Re: M50
Paul said he has some, just ask, problems with supplier right now

In Make Your Own Gear » Momentum 50
March 24, 10:01am

Re: Re: The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
"I think turning over our national parks to the states would be a fantastic idea. Why can't liberals understand this concept? Wanting to defund something at a federal level doesn't ...

In Chaff » The GOP (The Party For The Unstable) Hate National Parks Too
March 24, 9:31am

Re: Pushing the Dew point out of a down bag using a synthetic overquilt.
The temperature will gradually decrease from 92 F or so next to your body, to the ambient temperature outside your bag. The point where the temperature reaches 32 F is where any water vapor passin...

In GEAR » Pushing the Dew point out of a down bag using a synthetic overquilt.
March 23, 7:29pm

Re: Re: Re: About to buy my first sewing machine….
"it seems generally accepted that older 60's vintage machines were made of metal and sew better than economical new plastic units." I used my mom's machine in 1960s/1970s. It ...

In Make Your Own Gear » About to buy my first sewing machine….
March 23, 7:24pm

Re: About to buy my first sewing machine….
I just use regular Gutterman from local fabric store For something like attaching shoulder pads you need lots of stitches to sppread load across many threads. I usually do 2 rows of stitches fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » About to buy my first sewing machine….
March 23, 3:28pm

Re: Re: Cutting Large Pieces of Fabric
I use unopened food cans to weight fabric

In Make Your Own Gear » Cutting Large Pieces of Fabric
March 23, 1:55pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.