BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 181 - 190 of 9343 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...935

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Rev 2 - Trying a Hex
> Is a #3 zipper too small to use for the door? How careful are you? I use #3 coil-coil plastic zips on both my summer and winter tents. Straight-line runs ONLY. Never has any problems with...

In Make Your Own Gear » 5-Sided Pyramid Tent - Almost Done
June 19, 4:13am

Re: Re: Re: Don't make this planning mistake
> "Still, nothing can prevent you from checking something off and then leaving it in your living room" Everything is spread out in a row on the living room floor - open polished woo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Don't make this planning mistake
June 19, 4:09am

Re: Waterproofing the pack?
Belt and braces for us. Poncho over the pack. X-pac fabric (waterproof) for the pack body. UL dry sacks inside for vital bits of gear (eg quilt, clothing) MYOG UL dry sack: a common plastic bag...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Waterproofing the pack?
June 18, 4:07pm

Re: so
> the deepness of the bowl prevents you from cutting food on it Two parts to the answer. First, yes, the shape of a bowl is like that, so I often carry a small flat square of 1 mm polyethyl...

In GEAR » New camp plates: plastic or metal (aluminum, etc)?
June 17, 4:02pm

Re: materials
> What are the practical differences between silnylon and PU coated nylon? Weight for weight, silnylon can be 3 - 4 times as strong in a tear test. Seems unbelievable, but it happens. Silnyl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Shot at a tent
June 17, 12:40am

Re: Welp
Yep. We (my wife and I) use GSI plastic Inform bowls. These have a wide base so they don't tip over. And they nest. The Cascadian ones are nice but they can tip when on a 'soft' surf...

June 16, 7:05pm

Re: New camp plates: plastic or metal (aluminum, etc)?
Metal plates have an interesting feature. Put near-boiling food on them, and you may burn your fingers. Bacteria? Try washing the plates with a bit of warm water and soap. Very simple. Cheers

June 15, 11:02pm

Re: stress fractures
> How do you train your feet for day after day after day mileage You KNOW what I am going to suggest, don't you? Lots of day walks and weekend walks and multi-day walks. > Can stress...

In Philosophy & Technique » stress fractures
June 15, 11:00pm

Re: It's the shoes - I think
> He said hikers on the PCT generally buy shoes up to two sizes too big. I'm not sure > how that works, because then you are sure to get blisters Well, two sizes is pretty generous, bu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to stop toenail loss?
June 15, 10:51pm

Re: sometimes you can't figure it out
Hi Jennifer > The only thing I can think of is that I grip the ground with my toes, I assume you keep those toenails cut really short? On long trips we carry toenail clippers, and use them...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to stop toenail loss?
June 15, 6:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm