Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 181 - 190 of 10248 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ...1025

Forum » Thread

Re: an old Primus stove question for stovies
Depends on how much you want to pay. You have options: Get one off a similar Chinese camp stove (buy?) Buy a potentiometer control knob from an electronics supplier Make one yourself - probably ...

In GEAR » an old Primus stove question for stovies
March 02, 11:37pm

Re: Winter UL tweaking
Hi Bob > Edit: Sorry, I tried to fix the damned link and it wouldn't stick, just like the gear > list update... grrrr.... THEN I checked using Explorer and it DID update! Other > ...

In Winter Hiking » UL at 0° F?
March 02, 6:16pm

Re: The Evolution of a Winter Stove
I think what Jerry wrote covers the problem. At full power a canister burner can pump out well over 2 kW. That means it is like an electric stove hotplate glowing bright red. Of course it can b...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 5: Infra-Red testing
March 02, 2:45pm

Methyl hydrate is methanol
Just so no-one gets confused: Methyl Hydrate IS methanol. Exactly the same same chemical. It is toxic if ingested, but it burns much cleaner than any form of propanol. Cheers

In GEAR » Alcohol stove, stainless steel cookware, offensive odour - just me?
March 02, 2:34pm

Re: Alcohol stove, stainless steel cookware, offensive odour - just me?
I am guessing about this case, but we have had some experience with burning propanol. First of all, when they (Bio-Flame) claim 95% ethanol and 5% propanol, I simply do not believe them. There W...

In GEAR » Alcohol stove, stainless steel cookware, offensive odour - just me?
March 02, 2:02am

Re: Carrying Olive Oil
The point about the Nalge botttles is that they are lab-grade bottles and have an engineered seal which is guarranteed to not leak. Other bottles are more likely to be made to a price (and an artis...

In GEAR » Carrying Olive Oil
March 01, 1:55pm

Descent?
Very very impressive stuff. Can you get down from the end of that long peninsula? It would be unreal ... Cheers

In Post-Trip Reports » 48 hours with the Ancients
February 28, 8:26pm

Re: satan get behind me
and push ... Cheers

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL Reacts to distasteful ad complaints
February 28, 8:20pm

Re: What's?
> What is the idfl? International Down and Feather Labs, where as usual 'international' really means 'American'. They are responsible for a new very gimmicked test method whi...

In GEAR » OK to leave down compressed for a long time?
February 28, 1:47pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Down elasticity
> You have had the answers the whole time! Yep. In addition, several people have already given you the answer, that vacuum packaging is OK, but you did not want to listen. Cheers

In GEAR » OK to leave down compressed for a long time?
February 28, 1:42pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm